The development of relations between Latin American and Caribbean countries and China
Ph. D. (Economy), Leading Research Fellow,
State Institution «Institute of World History of NAS of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. Faced with international isolation after the establishment of the People`s Republic of China, the country’s leaders have chosen to build relations with developing countries, including Latin American and the Caribbean, which in turn have supported the intentions of the Chinese leadership. The parties found an acceptable format for cooperation in both political and trade and economic spheres. Cooperation between China and the LAC promotes multipolarity and democracy in international relations, strengthens the voice of developing countries in international affairs, and protects the common interests of both parties and other developing countries. The objectives of the proposed article are to try to clarify the preconditions for the formation of relations between Latin America and the Caribbean countries and China, their genesis and impact on the socio-economic development of the parties and the formation of a new paradigm of relations.
The methods we employed to do the research: the historical method which allowed to study the origin, formation and development of major historical events in the relations between Latin America and the Caribbean countries and China in chronological order; the comparative-historical method which helped to establish the content, forms, directions and perspectives of relations between Latin America and the Caribbean countries and China by comparison. The scientific novelty of the article lies in the in-depth analysis of the instrumental, conceptual foundations and practical aspects of the development of relations between Latin America and the Caribbean countries and China, as well as in forecasting potential trends in relations between the parties. Conclusions. Thanks to the gradual and well-thought-out policy of building bilateral relations between Latin America and the Caribbean countries and China, the parties were able to build effective, but at the same time pragmatic relations based on trust, equality and mutual benefit.
Key words: relations between LAC and China, China-СELAC Forum, trade, economic relations, energy, tourism.
- Vakarchuk, K. (2019). Latin America. Analytical review 06/2019. Borisfen Intel. http://surl.li/ayldn. [Іn Ukrainian].
- Kaspruk, V. (2010, November, 30). China – Latin America: between expansion and global cooperation. Ukrainian Week. https://tyzhden.ua/World/327. [Іn Ukrainian].
- An, Gang. (2016, March, 17). U.S. – Cuba Reset. Beijing Review, 59, 11, 30-31. [Іn English].
- Bai, Shi. (2015, June, 6). Magical realism. Beijing Review, 58, 23, 14–17. [Іn English].
- Barcen, A. & Cimoli, M. & García-Buchaca, R. & Shaw, S. (2021). Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America and the Caribbean. Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean. http://surl.li/ayldq. [Іn English].
- Basic information about ChinA-CELAC Forum (2016, April). http://surl.li/ayldg. [Іn English].
- China’s Policy Paper on Latin America and the Caribbean (2017). Central People’s Government of the People’s Republic of China. http://surl.li/aywxt. [Іn English].
- Dang, Xiaofei. (2015, August). Energy China in Latin America. China Today, 64, 8, 34-36. [Іn English].
- Economic Commission for Latin. (2018, January). America and the Caribbean. Exploring new forms of cooperation between China and Latin America and the Caribbean http://surl.li/aywyj [Іn English].
- Fu, Zhibin & Menezes de Carvalho, E. (2017, May). The Challenge of Understanding China and Its Future. China Today, 66, 5, 40-43. [Іn English].
- Gonzalez, A. (2018, March,12). Latin America – China Trade and Investment Amid Global Tensions. http://surl.li/aytci. [Іn English].
- Harris, B., Schipani, A., Hornby, L., Zhang, A. (2019, May, 30). Brazil’s Beijing charm offensive lauded Financial Times, 3. [Іn English].
- Lago, P. & Yang, W. (2014, January). Chile Shares the Chinese Dream. China Today, 66, 1, 40-41. [Іn English].
- Prazeres.T. & Zhang P. & Bohl, D. (2021, December, 5). China – LAC Trade: Four scenarios in 2035. Atlantic Council. http://surl.li/ayxak. [Іn English].
- Second Ministerial Meeting of China-CELAK Forum Opens up New Cooperation Areas (2018, March). China Today, 67, 3, 6. [Іn English].
- Sullivan, M. P. (2021, July). China’s Engagement with Latin America and the Caribbean. Congressional Research Service. http://surl.li/ayxbc. [Іn English].
- Ventura, J. (2017, April). Mexico and China: 45 Years of Diplomatic Relations. China Today, 66, 4, 46-47. [Іn English].
- Wu, Hongying. (2017, January). New Era of China-Latin America Relations. China Today, 66, 1, 26-28. [Іn English].
- Wu, Ju. (2012, October). CPC’Relations with Political Parties in Latin America. China Today, 61, 10, 50-52. [Іn English].
- Zarate, M. (2012, October). Changes in China that Amount to Revolution. China Today, 61, 10, 42-43. [Іn English].
- Zarate, M. (2017, October). Panama – Connecting China with Latin America. China Today, 66, 10, 40-42. [Іn English].
- Zarate, M. (2016, September). Panama – Mexico Needs to Absorb Chinese Capital. China Today, 65, 9, 44-45. [Іn English].
- Zhang, Y. (2015, April). Brazil’s Winter of Discontent Beijing Review, 58, 17, 24-25. [Іn English].