Iryna Tykhonenko, Ph.D student, Department of international relation and foreign policy, Petro Mohyla Black Sea State University, Mykolaiv, Ukraine
The article deals with the relationship between Pakistan and the US in the context of the Afghan problem. The existence of territorial issues and common threat of terrorism in the PakistaniAfghan relations became a background for Washington in creating a common political line to both regional states. Negative characteristics of this approach from Islamabad contributed to avoid using the term «AfPak» by the presidency of Barack Obama, but such approach in US foreign policy remains. The dynamics of bilateral contacts are described by the evolution of American AfPak concept and model of the Afghan settlement after 2014. The Islamabad gradual distancing from fairway of American foreign policy and attempts to play a key role in Afghan settlement gives an opportunity to assert transition from submission format to partnership dialogue between the US and Pakistan. The author concludes that the national interests of Washington and Islamabad in resolving the Afghan issue has an impact on regional security in South Asia. The priority for Pakistan is to prevent India’s involvement in resolving the situation in Afghanistan. In turn, the US has distinct interests. The collaboration with the Indian side as a tool to deter China is very important for Washington, but has a negative effect to the level of confidence in the Pakistani-American cooperation.
US, Pakistan, Afghanistan, AfPak strategy, the Afghan factor, terrorism
- HOROBETS I., MARTYNOV A. (2010) Afhanska problema v suchasnykh mizhnarodnykh vidnosynakh. Zovnishni spravy. 5/6. pp. 48-51.
- KOBZARENKO A.M. (2009) Suchasna polityka SShA u Pivdennii Azii. Stratehichni priorytety. 12(3). pp. 238-244.
- LAUMULIN M.T. Tri scenarija razvitija Afganistana – mezhdunarodnye i regional’nye pozicii (doklad). Regnum. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.regnum.ru/news/1415653.html
- OBORSKYI O.P. (2007) Suchasna zovnishnia polityka SShA: doktrynalnyi vymir. Stratehichni priorytety. 5(4). pp. 194-197.
- SOHEJL M. Pakistan kak garant budushhego Afganistana. Rossija v globai’noj politike. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.globalaffairs.ru/number/Pakistan-kak-garant-buduschego-Afganistana-15650.
- SYROEZHKIN K.L. (2012) «Afganskaja problema»: sostojanoe i perspektivy. Mezhdunarodnye issledovanija. 3. pp. 59-65.
- UMNOV A.JU. (2009) Afganskij krizis. Mirovaja jekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija. 3. pp. 49-57.
- FENENKO A.V. (2013) SShA prodolzhat bor’bu s terrorizmom na territorii Pakistana? Afghanistan.ru. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://afghanistan.ru/doc/61665.html.
- SHAMRAIEVA V.M. (2012) Osnovy zovnіshnopolіtychnoi kontseptsіi prezydenta B.Obamy. Teorіia ta praktyka derzhavnoho upravlіnnia. 37(2). pp. 407-414.
- CHADHA V., MUNI S.D., eds. (2014) Asian strategic review 2014: US pivot and Asian security. New Delhi: PENTAGON PRESS.
- CHISHTI A.K. (2014) The Raheel doctrine. The Friday Times. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.thefridaytimes.com/tft/the-raheel-doctrine.
- FAIR C., GANGULY S. (2015) An unworthy ally time for Washington to cut Pakistan loose. Foreign Affairs [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/pakistan/2015-08-18/unworthy-ally.
- FISHER K. (2010) The AfPak strategy: reactions in Pakistan. AAN Policy Briefing. Vol. 2.
- IQBAL H. Pak-Afghan ties in the light of Pak-US strategic dialogue. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://irs.org.pk/afghanistan/spn10.pdf.
- KHAN M.A., KHAN A.B., MAKHDOOM A.W. (2014) Paradigm shift in Afghanistan: a study of the «Af-Pak Strategy» of the United States of America. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. Vol. 4. No.7. pp. 244-253.
- MARKEY D. (2009) From AfPak to PakAf: a response to the new U.S. strategy for South Asia. New York: Council on Foreign Relations.
- (2015) А National Security Strategy of the United States of America. – Washington, DC: The White House. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2015_national_security_strategy.pdf.
- HAROON A. (2013) Nawaz Sharif says drone attacks are against Pakistan’s sovereignty. Dispatch News Desk, 10 July. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.dnd.com.pk/nawaz-sharif-says-drone-attacks-are-against-pakistans-sovereignty.
- (2013) Pakistan on the Edge Pakistan Project Report IDSA. New Delhi: Magnum Books Pvt Ltd.
- Remarks by the President in Address to the Nation on the Way Forward in Afghanistan and Pakistan. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-address-nation-way-forward-afghanistan-and-pakistan.
- CHANDRA V. (2015) The unfinished war in Afghanistan: 2001-2014. PENTAGON PRESS.
- YUSUF M. (2013) Decoding Pakistan’s «strategic shift» in Afghanistan. Stockholm: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.