Dr. habil. (History), Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Dr. habil. (History), Associate Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. All-Ukrainian Scientific Conference of Young Scientists «USA: Politics, society, culture», dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the United States and Ukraine, was held on January 26, 2022 on the basis of the department of Modern and Contemporary History of foreign countries of the historical faculty of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv within the framework of educational development program «American Studies and European Studies (with in-depth study foreign languages)». The conference is aimed at young researchers – mostly undergraduate and graduate students, graduate students of Ukrainian universities and research institutes – aimed to involve in scientific discussions and identify the potential of the new generation of Ukrainian Americanists, to help them get acquainted with each other’s experiences as well support their efforts.
The largest number of conference participants were Kyiv Americanists – fromTaras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Kyiv), State Institution «Institute of World History of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine» (Kyiv), Borys Hrinchenko University of Kyiv (Kyiv), National University of Life and Environmental Sciences (Kyiv) and Kyiv Small Academy of Sciences of Student Youth, as well as Zaporizhia National University (Zaporizhzhia) and Sumy State University (Sumy).
The conference traditionally began with a plenary session. Participants were congratulated by the Dean of the Faculty of History of Taras Shevchenko National University, Ph. D. Professor Ivan Patryliak, his Deputy for Research and International Affairs of Relations Ph. D. Andrii Koval, Chairman of the Ukrainian Association of American Studies Ph. D., Associate Professor Makar Taran, Head of the Department of Modern and Contemporary History of foreign countries of Taras Shevchenko National University, Doctor of Science, Professor Oleg Mashevskyi and Chairman of the Organizing Committee, Ph. D., Professor of the Department of Modern and Contemporary history of foreign countries of Taras Shevchenko National University Natalia Gorodnia.
The main work of the conference was organized in three sections: external US policy and relations with the world in the twentieth century. (moderators: associate professor Victoriia Pilkevych, student Valentyn Zatsepilo); US foreign policy and relations with the world in the XXI century. (moderators: Professor Oleg Mashevskyi, graduate student Nazarii Lutsenko); domestic policy of Governments, Society and Culture of the United States (moderators: Associate Professor Olga Sukhobokova, student Andrii Lisovyi).
Thanks to the efforts of the organizing committee of the conference, first of all its chairman Professor Nataliia Gorodnia, a collection of materials of conference was published, which can be found on the website of the Modern and Contemporary History of foreign countries of Taras Shevchenko National University, and which will be useful to anyone interested in the history and present of the United States. Also on the YouTube channel of the Department of «American Studies, European Studies and Oriental Studies» are located videos of the most interesting reports.
Interest in the conference, a collection of its materials and videos of Participants’ reports highlight the need and importance of such activities for young Americanists. And the issues discussed at the conference of American-Ukrainian relations, the role of the United States in the modern world, and especially their peace and stability in various regions, proved to be more than relevant. Less than a month after the conference began full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine, and a number of statements made during discussions by young researchers were tested as real, unfortunately, mostly tragic events that we witnessed and participated in.
Fighting now for their freedom and territorial integrity, the right to European integration and belonging to the Western world, we are aware of and we feel the important role of the United States in the international support of Ukraine, once again actualizes the development of American studies in Ukraine and assignments to them today’s students and graduate students.
Key words: history of the USA, history of international relations, history of foreign policy, American-Ukrainian relations, Russian-Ukrainian war.
- Mashevskyi, О. & Sukhobokova, О. (2019). «American Meetings» – educational and research project of the Ukrainian Association of American Studies and the Faculty of History of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. American History and Politics, 8, 88–97. http://surl.li/cfukt. [Іn Ukrainian].
- Mashevskyi, О. & Sukhobokova, О. (2021). Certified lecture course by an American expert Adrian Karmazyn at the Faculty of History, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. American History and Politics,12, 127-132. http://surl.li/cfulf. [Іn Ukrainian].
- Gorodnia, N. (Еd.). (2022). USA: politics, society, culture. Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian Scientific Conference of Young Scientists Dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between the United States and Ukraine, Kyiv, January 26, 2022. Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. http://surl.li/cfumh. [Іn Ukrainian & English].
- Department of Modern and Contemporary History of Foreign Countries of Taras Kyiv National University. (2022). USA: politics, society, culture 2022. Scientific Conference. [Vіdeo]. http://surl.li/cgroi. [Іn Ukrainian].
- Mashevskyi, О. & Sukhobokova, О. (2021). International Scientific and Methodical Seminar (Webinar) Peculiarities of the 2020 Election Campaign in the USA and Prospects of Ukrainian-American Relations. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. History, 150. http://surl.li/cfumc. [Іn English].