Ihor V. Rymar
PhD (History), Kyiv Scientific Research Forensic Center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, Kyiv.
On the basis of diary entries of the Secretary General of the Third International G. Dimitrov, documents of the Russian State Archive of Socio-Political History, and documents of Soviet foreign policy, the author analyzes the characteristic features of the discursive model of the strategy and tactics of the Third International in 1941-1943, especially its activities in the field of propaganda regarding the Communist Party of the USA and the Communist Party of Great Britain during the first period of the German-Soviet war of 1941-1945 and in the process of the formation of the Anti-Hitler coalition. The role of the CPUSA and CPGB in the process of consolidating democratic forces in the struggle against Germany and its allies, the features of their activities in the framework of the discursive model of the Third International of 1941-1943, are characterized. The place and significance of the CPUSA and CPGB in the context of the Comintern’s strategy of providing comprehensive assistance to the USSR in the war with Germany, the deployment of the partisan movement and the Resistance movement in occupied countries, and the establishment of relations with the governments of F. Roosevelt and W. Churchill for a quick end to the war. In the course of the study, the main areas of activity of the American and British Communist Parties, the preservation of distance in cooperation with national governments and especially the intelligence and counterintelligence bodies of the Allies during 1941-1943, were established. A separate place in G. Dimitrov’s recordings is occupied by the problem of opening a second front in Europe in 1942 and propaganda issues related, first of all, to the signing of the British-Soviet and American-Soviet agreements, the problems of their coverage in newspapers and on the radio.
Key words: strategy and tactics of the Third International, discursive model, Communist Party of the USA, Communist Party of the Great Britain, German-Soviet war, Allies of World War II.
1. Gusarova, E.P. et al., (Eds.). (2000) Dokumentyi vneshney politiki. 22 iyunya 1941 – 1 yanvarya 1942. T. XXIV. Moskva: Mezhdunarodnyie otnosheniya.
2. Anderson, K.M., Chubaryan, A.O. (Eds.). (1994) Komintern i vtoraya mirovaya voyna Ch.1:Do 22 iyunya 1941 g. Moskva: Pamyatniki istoricheskoy myisli.
3. Anderson, K.M., Chubaryan, A.O. (Eds.) (1998) Komintern i vtoraya mirovaya voyna Ch.2: Posle 22 iyunya 1941 g. Moskva: Pamyatniki istoricheskoy myisli.
4. Rymar, I. V. (2018) Vplyv pozytsii Y. Stalina na formuvannia taktyko – stratehichnykh modelei III Internatsionalu (1935-1943 rr.). Visnyk ahrarnoi istorii: naukovyi zhurnal, 23-24, 208-226
5. Rymar, I. V. (2018) III Internacional ta Komunistychna partiya SShA: polityka ta vzayemovidnosyny (serpen” 1939 – cherven” 1941 roku). Amerykans”ka istoriya ta polityka: naukovyj zhurnal, 5, 140-152
6. Firsov, F. (2008, April). Komintern posle 22 iyunya 1941. Radio Eho Moskvyi. Retrieved from https://echo.msk.ru/programs/victory/510571-echo.html
7. Firsov, F. (2011) Sekretyi Kommunisticheskogo Internatsionala. Shifroperepiska. Moskva: Rossiyskaya politicheskaya entsiklopediya (ROSSPEN).
8. Applebaum, A. (2003, July) The daily life of a revolutionary. The Telegraph. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3599744/The-daily-life-of-a-revolutionary.html
9. Banac, I. (2003) Introduction. Georgi Dimitrov and His Diary: The Rise and Decline of the Lion of Leipzig (p. xv-xlviii.) Yale University Press: New Haven and London.
10. Banac I. (2003) The Diary of Georgi Dimitrov. 1933-1949. Yale University Press: New Haven and London.
11. Barrett, J.A. (2003) The History of American Communism and Our Understanding of Stalinism. American Communist History, 2(2), 175-182.
12. Geaney, K. (2014) The World of American Communism: Ups and Downs 1918–1945. West Bohemian Historical Review, 2, 163-178.
13. Klehr, H., Haynes J., Firsov F. (1995) The Secret World of American Communism. Yale University Press: New Haven and London.
14. Klehr, H. (2019) Whiplash: Communists Worldwide Scrambled to Adjust to the Pact. Law & Liberty. Retrieved from https://www.lawliberty.org/liberty-forum/whiplash-communists-worldwide-scrambled-to-adjust-to-the-pact/
15. Kotkin, S. A (2006) Conspiracy So Immense. The New Republic, 28-34
16. Pryce-Jones, D. (2019) A Devils’ Alliance and a Civilizational Failure. Law & Liberty. Retrieved from https://www.lawliberty.org/liberty-forum/a-devils-alliance-and-a-civilizational-failure/
17. Thorpe, A. (2006) British Communists and Anglo-French Relations, 1914-1945. Retrieved from https://ore.exeter.ac.uk/repository/bitstream/handle/10036/18793/Rouen%20Paper.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
18. 18 USC 2386: Registration of certain organizations. United States Code, Title 18 Part I Chapter 115. Retrieved from http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USCprelim-title18-section2386&num=0&edition=prelim