Peculiarities of the US Policy towards Cuba under Conditions of Break Off Diplomatic Relations in the 1960’s
Kateryna Kasatkina, Lecturer, Zaporizhzhia State Medical University, Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine
The article is an attempt to analyze the peculiarities of the US Policy towards Cuba under conditions of break off diplomatic relations in the 1960s. The article focuses on factors which influenced on the formation of the US policy towards Cuba and determined the nature of its qualitative changes in the given period. The author analyzed definite political and economic steps made by President John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson against Fidel Castro’s regime. There is also described the work of the Special Group Augmented that prepared for the new phase of the «Cuban project» – Operation «Mongoose».
As a result of the research the author comes to the conclusion, that peculiarities of the US Policy towards Cuba under conditions of break off diplomatic relations in the 1960’s had changed. President Kennedy’s policies were characterized by different methods and approaches. It included both covert operations and sabotage against F. Castro’s regime, as well as political and economic pressure on Cuba. However, such US policy had the opposite effect. Cuba had established relations with the Soviet Union. The confrontation between the United States, the Soviet Union and Cuba led to The Cuban missile crisis. After the crisis was resolved the USA was forced to suspend operation «Mongoose». In addition, John F. Kennedy had attempted to establish a secret back channel of communication with F. Castro. After his death, preliminary for negotiations between Washington and Havana were discontinued. The new President Lyndon Johnson did not allow the normalization of relations with Cuba on Castro’s terms and while he was in power. He made an effort to destabilize the Castro’s regime by making an engaging immigration policy for Cubans who lived in the United States or desired come to the country and got a permanent residence. At the end of Johnson’s presidency, the United States took part in the Vietnam war, but the problem of U.S.-Cuban relations remained unresolved.
Key words: United States, Cuba, John. F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Fidel Castro, «Cuban Project», Operation «Mongoose».
- An Act to Adjust the Status of Cuban Refugees to that of Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States. Public Law 89-732. November 2, 1966 (1966). Bills and Statutes. United States Statutes at Large, https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-80/pdf/STATUTE-80-Pg1161.pdf [In English].
- An Act to Amend the Immigration and Nationality Act, and for Other Purposes. Public Law 89-23. October 3, 1965. (1965), Bills and Statutes. United States Statutes at Large. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-79/pdf/STATUTE-79-Pg911.pdf [In English].
- An Act to Promote International Trade in Agricultural Commodities, to Combat Hunger and Malnutrition, to Further Economic Development, and for Other Purposes. Public Law 89-808. November 11, 1966. (1966), Bills and Statutes. United States Statutes at Large. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-80/pdf/STATUTE-80-Pg1526.pdf [In English].
- Blight, J. G., Allyn, B. J., & Welch, D. A. (2002), Cuba on the Brink: Castro, the Missile Crisis, and the Soviet Collapse. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield. [In English].
- Blight, J., & Welch, D.A. (1990), On the Brink. Americans and Russian Reexamine the Cuban Missile Crisis. New York, N.Y.: Hill & Wang Pub. [In English].
- Castro, F. (1963). Concerning the Facts and Consequences of the Tragic Death of President John F. Kennedy, https://ourhiddenhistory.org/entry/fidel-castro-s-first-speech-on-the-jfk-assassination-11-23-1963 [In English].
- Coates, B. A. (2018). The Secret Life of Statutes: A Century of the Trading with the Enemy Act. Modern American History, 1(2), 151-172, https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/modern-american-history/article/secret-life-of-statutes-a-century-of-the-trading-with-the-enemy-act/77DD7CF528D3190CFC8CF8FF6DDAACB0/core-reader [In English].
- Cuba, Dominican Republic Penalized by Sugar Act (1961). CQ Almanac. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, https://library.cqpress.com/cqalmanac/document.php?id=cqal61-1372649 [In English].
- Cuba: White Paper (1961). Arthur M. Schlesinger Personal Papers. White House Files. Subject File, 1961-1964, https://www.jfklibrary.org/asset-viewer/archives/AMSPP/WH06/AMSPP-WH06-009 [In English].
- Dominguez, E., & Prevost G. (2008). United States – Cuban Relations: A Critical History. Plymouth: Lexington Books. [In English].
- Franklin, J. (2016). Cuba and the U.S. Empire: A Chronological History. New York, NY.: Monthly Review Press. [In English].
- General Edward G. Lansdale, Eyes Only of Addressees, «The Cuba Project» (1962). JFKL: JFKP: National Security File, Meetings and Memoranda, Box 319, Folder, «Special Group (Augmented) 1/61-6/62», https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu//dc.html?doc=6434687-National-Security-Archive-Doc-11-General-Edward [In English].
- George A. (2013). The Cuban Missile Crisis: The Threshold of Nuclear War (Critical Moments in American History). Routledge: London. [In English].
- Kornbluh, P. (1999). JFK and Castro. The Secret Quest for Accommodation. Cigar Aficionado, Sep/Oct. https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/jfk-and-castro-7300 [In English].
- LeoGrande, W. M., & Kornbluh, P. (2015) Back Channel to Cuba: The Hidden History of Negotiations between Washington and Havana. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press. [In English].
- Memorandum for Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Director of CIA, Attorney General, General Taylor, General Lansdale, and Richard Goodwin (1961). National Archives, JFK Assassination Records, Document No. 176-10032-10018, https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu//dc.html?doc=6434685-National-Security-Archive-Doc-09-Memorandum-for [In English].
- Memorandum of Meeting With President Kennedy. Washington, August 23, 1962. (1997). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1961-1963, Cuba, 1961-1962. Washington: United States Government Printing Office, X, https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1961-63v10/pg_953 [In English].
- President John F. Kennedy`s News Conference. 25 January 1961. (1961). Papers of John F. Kennedy. Presidential Papers. President’s Office Files. Press Conferences, https://www.jfklibrary.org/asset-viewer/archives/JFKPOF/054/JFKPOF-054-001 [In English].
- Program Review by the Chief of Operations, Operation Mongoose (Lansdale). Washington, January 18, 1962. (1997). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1961 – 1963, Cuba, 1961 – Washington United States Government Printing Office, X, https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1961-63v10/pg_710 [In English].
- The Cuba Project (n.d.). National Security Archive. https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/project/cuba-project [In English].
- Trading with the Enemy. Act of 1917. Act Oct. 6, 1917, Ch.106, 40 Stat. 411. (2011). United States Code, 2006 Edition, Supplement 5, Title 50 – War and National Defense. Bills and Statutes, https://static1.squarespace.com/static/563a4585e4b00d0211e8dd7e/t/5b969ca389858325956a88ae/1536597156085/USCODE-2011-title50-app-tradingwi.pdf [In English].