PhD student, «The Institute of World History of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
Violation of status-quo in the Middle East, which radically influenced the world oil supply system, generated the uncertainty of prospects in politics in general and energetics in particular. For the United States, it became necessary to transform their energy strategy, which included domestic and foreign policy aspects. However until October, 1973 the Administration of the USA could not develop a strategy capable of preventing an energy crisis of 1973–1974. Nevertheless, persistent looking for a new model of energy politics continued in the United States throughout the first half of 1970. As of December 1972, at least 42 federal agencies, bureaus, departments, and offices were involved in research into energy issues. The 93rd Congress (January 1973–January 1975) involved itself was in energy-related legislation on an unprecedented scale. More than 2,000 bills were introduced, and more than 30 standing congressional committees collectively held
over 1,000 days of hearings on nearly every aspect of energy policy programs and problems. Nearly 40 energy-related laws were enacted. The magnitude of these efforts indicates that the United States leadership was deeply concerned about the situation. Despite the efforts made, the US administration could not avoid the dramatic events of the energy crisis. The cause for this was the untimely transformation of American energy policy.
This article shows relationship between politics and energetics and explores, therefore, political methods, used in the USA in the process of developing the new energy politics in 1970 – 1975. It covers the history of this politics institutional and legal base creation. By the modern viewpoints it highlights the main problems and barriers to energy strategy formation, which slowed down its transformation.
Key words: USA, R. Nixon, energy policy, energy crisis, legislative framework, oil.
1. Danylets, V. (2018). Blizʹkoskhidna polityka SSHA v konteksti svitovoyi systemy naftozabezpechennya naprikíntsí 1950-kh – 1960-ti rr. Amerykansʹka istoriya ta polityka: naukovyy zhurnal. 6, C. 60 – 72. [In Ukrainian].
2. Grossman, P. Z. (2013). US energy policy and the pursuit of failure. Cambridge University Press. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=iusfAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=uk&source=gbs_ge
_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false [In English].
3. Nixon, R. (n.d.). Memorandum to the Secretary of the Interior Reassuming Responsibility for the Nation’s Oil Import Policies. February 20, 1969. University of Michigan Digital Library; The Public Papers of the Presidential of the United States. https://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/ppotpus/4731731.1969.001/182?rgn=full+text;view=image [In English].
4. U.S. Department of State. (n.d.). Memorandum From President Nixon to Secretary of Labor Shultz. March 25, 1969. Office of the Historian; Foreign Service Institute. https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1969-76v36/d2 [In English].
5. The Oil Import Question: A Report on the Relationship of Oil Imports to the National Security. Washington, D.C. February, 2 1970. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=0tGsSQAACAAJ&pg=PA195&hl=uk&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false [In English].
6. Nixon, R. Special Message to the Congress on Energy Policy. April 18, 1973. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/special-message-the-congress-energy-policy [In English].
7. Annual Average Domestic Crude Oil Prices. (2020). Inflationdata.com. https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/historical-crude-oil-prices-table [In English].
8. U.S. Department of Energy. (2019). U.S. crude oil imports by country of origin, 1960 – 2018. https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/articles/fotw-1084-june-3-2019-2013-us-crude-oil-imports-have-been-less-102-million [In English].
9. Lifset R. D. (2014). A new understanding of the american energy crisis of the 1970s. Historical Social Research [In English].
10. Nixon, R. (n.d.). Special Message to the Congress on Energy Resources. June 04, 1971. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/special-message-the-congress-energy-resources [In English].
11. Fuel and energy resources, 1972: Hearings before the Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs, House of Representatives, Ninety-second Congress, second session. HathiTrust Digital Library. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951p00742553r&view=1up&seq=2&size=125 [In English].
12. U.S. Department of State. (n.d.). OPEC oil: Persian Gulf anchored, Mediterranean next. Intelligence Note RECN–3 Prepared in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research. February, 18 1971. Office of the Historian; Foreign Service Institute. https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1969-76ve04/d115-01 [In English].
13. History, jurisdiction, and a summary of legislative activities during the 92 d Congress: December 1972. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=dV7lCfJ5TusC&pg=PA1&lpg#v=onepage&q&f=false [In English].
14. Nixon, R. (n.d.). Statement announcing additional energy policy measures. June 29, 1973. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/statement-announcing-additional-energy-policy-measures [In English].
15. Buck, A. (1982). A History of the Energy Research and Development Administration. U.S. Department of Energy. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/ERDA%20History.pdf [In English].
16. Nixon, R. (n.d.). The president’s news conference. September 05, 1973 The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/the-presidents-news-conference-89 [In English].
17. Nixon R. (n.d.). Remarks about the nation’s energy policy. September 08, 1973. Richard Nixon Foundation. https://www.nixonfoundation.org/2014/09/9-8-73-remarks-nations-energy-policy/ [In English].
18. Nixon, R. (n.d.). Address to the nation about policies to deal with the energy shortages. November 07, 1973. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/address-the-nation-about-policies-deal-with-the-energy-shortages [In English].
19. Nixon, R. (n.d.). Remarks Announcing Establishment of the Federal Energy Office. December 04, 1973. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/remarks-announcing-establishment-the-federal-energy-office [In English].
20. The National Archives of the United States. (n.d.). Code of Federal regulations: LSA, list of CFR sections affected. Title 3. The president. 1971 – 1975 Compilation. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=deWFAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=uk#v=onepage
&q&f=false [In English].
21. Nixon, R. (n.d.). Alaska pipeline: energy needs and the environment. Richard Nixon Foundation. https://www.nixonfoundation.org/2016/12/alaskan-pipeline-balancing-energy-needs-environment/ [In English].
22. U.S. House of Representatives. (n.d.). Specific functions and purposes. §764 of Title 15. USC Chapter 16B: Federal Energy Administration. Office of the Law Revision Counse, United States Code. https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml;jsessionid=80012FB6274D3E06F5C59A13456F0532?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title15&saved=L3ByZWxpbUB0aXRsZTE1L2NoYXB0ZXIxNkI%3D%7CZ3JhbnVsZWlkOlVTQy1wcmVsaW0tdGl0bGUxNS1jaGFwdGVyMTZC%7C%7C%7C0%7Cfalse%7Cprelim&edition=prelim [In English].
23. Nixon, R. (n. d.). Statement about the federal energy administration act of 1974. May 07, 1974. The American Presidency Project. https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/statement-about-the-
federal-energy-administration-act-1974 [In English].
24. The Law Library of Congress. (n.d.). H.R.11510 – Act on the reorganization and consolidation of certain functions of the Federal Government in the New Energy Research and Development Administration and in the New Nuclear Regulatory Commission to facilitate more efficient management of such functions. https://www.congress.gov/bill/93rd-congress/house-bill/11510?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22cite%3APL93-438%22%5D%7D&s=1&r=1 [In English].
25. Anders, R. (1980). The Federal Energy Administration. U.S. Department of Energy. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/FEA%20History.pdf [In English].
26. Institute for Energy and Environmental Research. (n. d.). A time to choose: America’s energy future. Final report by the Energy Policy Project of the Ford Foundation. The Ford Foundation. https://ieer.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/1974/01/Time-to-Choose-1974.pdf [In English].
27. Federal Energy Administration. (1974). Project Independence. A Summary. November 1974. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=CiMygzk3tiYC&pg=PP1&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false [In English].
28. U. S. Congress. (1975). Hearing before the Subcommittee on the Environment and Land Resources of the Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs, United States Senate, Ninety-fourth Congress. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=NhA2AAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=uk#v=onepage&q&f=false [In English].
29. The New-York Times. (1972). A transcript of the State of the union message to congress by president Ford. The New York Times Archives. https://www.nytimes.com/1975/01/16/archives/a-transcript-of-the-state-of-the-union-message-to-congress-by.html [In English].
30. The Law Library of Congress. (n.d.). S.622 – Energy Policy and Conservation Act. https://www.congress.gov/bill/94th-congress/senate-bill/622 [In English].
31. Gulick F. A. (1975). Energy-Related Legislation Highlights of the 93rd Congress and a Comparison of Three Energy Plans before the 94th Congress. Library of congress; Public Administration Review. https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/974536.pdf?seq=1 [In English].