Dr. habil. (History), Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
This paper describes and discusses the major developments in the U.S.-Philippines security relations in 1991-2016, between signing an agreement to extend a rent of Subic Bay Naval base by the U.S. and inauguration of R. Duterte administration. The research has revealed three periods in the U.S.-Philippines security relations in 1991-2016. The first period started when the Philippines senate rejected to ratify the Subic Bay Agreement in September 1991, and the United States had to evacuate the naval base on November 1992. It lasted until the U.S. and the Philippines signed a Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) in 1998. The Philippines government’s interest in reaching a new agreement was caused by China’s 1995 military occupation of the Panganiban reef and other incidents at the disputed territories in the South China Sea. The Philippines claimed that they composed a part of their exclusive economic zone, according to the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. The second period lasted since ratification of the VFA by the Philippines parliament in 1999 until
aggravation of the situation in the South China Sea in 2011. This period was featured by enhanced political and military cooperation between the U.S. and the Philippines, and significant U.S. assistance in modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP). In September 2001–2006, the security cooperation was focused on the counterterrorism activitiesin the Philippines by military means. In 2007–2011, the focus shifted to humanitarian operations and development assistance. During the third period, in March 2011 – June 2016, B. Aquino administration refocused attention from domestic security issues to the threats in the South China Sea. In 2014, the Philippines and the U.S. signed the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, which provided American ships, aircrafts and military personnel with an access to several military bases of the AFP on a rotating basis. The Agreement essentially improved U.S. strategic position in the Southeast Asia and the South China Sea.
Key words: the United States, the Philippines, U.S.–Philippines security relations, the South China Sea dispute.
1. Gorodnia, N.D. (2014). East Asia in the U. S. Foreign Policy (1989-2013). Kyiv: Print-Service [In Ukrainian].
2. Pidbereznyh, I. (2012). Military Factor in the U.S.-Philippines Cooperation to Strengthen Security in Asia Pacific. Academic Works: Scientific and Methodological Journal, 195 (207 History), 53–57 [In Ukrainian].
3. Agreements between the United States of America and the Philippines. Signed at Manila, February 10, 1998 and October 9, 1998. Department of State. https://2009-2017.state.gov/documents/organization/107852.pdf [In English].
4. Bower, Ernie and Ian Saccomanno (2011, July). Philippine President Benigno Aquino’s State of the Nation Address. Center for Strategic and International Studies. https://www.csis.org/analysis/philippine-president-benigno-aquino%E2%80%99s-state-nation-address [In English].
5. Broder, John M. U.S. Reaches Accord with Manila, Will Leave Clark Air Base: Philippines. But Americans will Keep Subic Naval Base for 10 years. Los Angeles Times. July 18, 1991. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-07-18-mn-3381-story.html [In English].
6. Clinton, Hillary. Remarks at Press Availability. Hanoi, Vietnam, 23 July 2010. Department of State. https://2009-2017.state.gov/secretary/20092013clinton/rm/2010/07/145095.htm [In English].
7. De Castro, Renato Cruz (2016). Twenty-First Century Philippines’ Policy toward an Emergent China: From Equi-Balancing to Strategic Balancing. Asian Politics & Policy, 8 (2), 305-328. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301707322 [In English]. DOI: 10.1111/ASPP.12249
8. Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement between the Philippines and the United States. Official Gazette. April 29, 2014. https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2014/04apr/20140428-EDCA.pdf [In English].
9. Goh, Evelyn (2007/08). Great Powers and Hierarchical Order in Southeast Asia. Analyzing Regional Security Strategies. International Security, 32 (3), 113–157. https://www.jstor.org/stable/30130520 [In English].
10. Gordon, Bernard K. (1991). The Asian-Pacific Rim: Success at a Pace. Foreign Affairs, 70 (1). https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/asia/1991-02-01/asian-pacific-rim-success-pace [In English].
11. Greitens, Sheena Chestnut (2016, May). The U.S.-Philippine Alliance in a Year of Transition: Challenges and Opportunities. Brookings. https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-u-s-philippine-alliance-in-a-year-of-transition-challenges-and-opportunities/ [In English].
12. Lohman, Walter and De Castro, Renato C. (2011, August). U.S.-Philippines Partnership in the Cause of Maritime Defense. Heritage Foundation Backgrounder, No. 2593. Heritage Foundation. https://www.heritage.org/asia/report/us-philippines-partnership-the-cause-maritime-defense [In English].
13. Lum, Thomas (2012, April). The Republic of the Philippines and U. S. Interests. Federation of American Scientists. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL33233.pdf [In English]
14. Mutual Defense Treaty between the United States and the Republic of the Philippines, August 30, 1951. The Avalon Project. Yale Law School. https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/phil001.asp [In English].
15. Shenon, Philip. Philippine Senate Votes to Reject U.S. Base Renewal. The New York Times. Sept. 16, 1991. https://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/16/world/philippine-senate-votes-to-reject-us-base-renewal.html [In English].
16. Signing of the Manila Declaration on Board the USS Fitzgerald in Manila Bay, Manila, Philippines. November 16, 2011. U.S. Department of State. https://2009-2017.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2011/11/177226.htm [In English].
17.Whitlock, Craig. Philippines May Allow Greater U.S. Military Presence in Reaction to China’s Rise. Washington Post. January 25, 2012 https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/philippines-may-allow-greater-us-presence-in-latest-reaction-to-chinas-rise/2012/01/24/gIQAhFIyQQ_story.html [In English].