Оlena Petrauskas, Engineer I-st Category Department of History of International Relations and foreign policy, Institute of History of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
The article examines the career of Condoleezza Rice in the context of the solution of the African–American issue in the United States. Also characterizes the starting positions and individual qualities of the future Secretary of State. The article determines the role of the family and the peculiarities of upbringing and shaping the views and life orientations of Mrs. Rice. Also highlights the socio-political conditions and circumstances of professional development of the Secretary of State. In particular, the article focuses is on the situation of the African–American population 1960–1970’s. Allocate and analyze the main factors influencing the choice of profession by Condoleezza Rice. Characterizes the main stages of C. Rice’s academic and political career in the context of “positive discrimination” and quota programs. The reasons for changing political views are Condoleezza Rice is highlighted. The article analyzes the individual experience in the realization of social opportunities for African Americans, which arose as a result of the adoption of anti–discrimination legislation in the United States and changes in the targeted state policy to overcome the problems of racial relations. The article determines the changes in the socio-political situation of African Americans in the second half of the twentieth century.
Keywords: African Americans in the United States, socio-political situation, integration, anti-discrimination policy, US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
- MABRY, М. (2008) Twice As Good: Condoleezza Rice and Her Path to Power. 1st Ed. New York: Modern Times.
- YES-Ukraine (2017) 14–a Shchorichna Zustrich YES: «Chy stav svit novym? I shcho tse oznachaye dlya Ukrayiny?». [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/V4ZwXJ. [Accessed: 1st October 2017].
- YES-Ukraine (2017) Condoleezza Rice. [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/a7z4HK. [Accessed: 1st October 2017].
- KPMG (2017) KPMG Women’s Leadership Summit. [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/kwH2t7. [Accessed: 29th September 2017].
- RICE, C. (2010) Extraordinary Ordinary People: A Memoir of Family. New York: Crown.
- The Washington Post (2000) Text: Condoleezza Rice at the Republican National Convention. [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/B9wVws. [Accessed: 1st October 2017].
- The Washington Post (2012) RNC 2012: Condoleezza Rice delivers speech to Republican National Convention in Tampa (full text). [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/CNPX6e. [Accessed: 28th October 2017].
- FELIX, A. (2010) Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story. New York: Threshold Editions.
- MONTGOMERY, L. (2007) The Faith of Condoleezza Rice. Wheaton: Crossway.
- BUMILLER, E. (2009) Condoleezza Rice: An American Life: A Biography. New York: Random House Trade Paperbacks.
- NIKOLAEV, B.V. (2016) Prava rasovyih i natsionalnyih menshinstv v SShA: zakonodatelstvo i pravoprimenitelnaya praktika. Penza.
- NITOBURG, E. L. (1993) Afroamerikantsyi i rasizm na ishode XX v. SShA: Ekonomika. Politika. Ideologiya. 12. Р. 51–72.
- NITOBURG, E. L. (2008) O nekotoryih aspektah rasovoy problemyi v SShA na rubezhe XX–XXI vekov. Novaya y noveyshaya ystoryya. 1. Р. 6 –86.
- U.S. Department of Education (2015) White House Initiativeon Historically Black College sand Universities. [Online] Available from: https://sites.ed.gov/whhbcu/. [Accessed: 28th October 2017].
- Thought Co. Lifelong learning (2017) Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/DxGf7r. [Accessed: 1st October 2017].
- GREELEY, M.A. (1977). The Changing Catholic College. New Brunswick.
- The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (2017) Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs. [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/8VTZoz. [Accessed: 1st October 2017].
- Hoover Institution (2014) Condoleezza Rice. [Online] Available from: https://www.hoover.org/profiles/condoleezza-rice. [Accessed: 2nd October 2017].
- NBC News (2005) Rice sworn in as a secretary of state. [Online] Available from: https://goo.gl/yxSf8S. [Accessed: 5th October 2017].