Ekaterina Kasatkina, Ph.D. student, Zaporizhzhya National University, Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine
This article deals with the role of Cuba in the U.S. foreign policy interests in the XIX – middle of the XX centurie. The aim of the article is to characterize the general line of the U.S. foreign policy and to analyze its priorities. Particular attention is paid to the place of the Latin American region in the system of American national priorities. There were analyzed the factors which influenced on the formation of the U.S. policy towards Cuba and determined the nature of its qualitative changes in the given period. As a result of the research the author comes to the conclusion that the U.S. policy towards Cuba and its place among Washington’s foreign policy priorities in XIX – middle of the XX centuries had been changing greatly throught its history. In the XIX century, when the U.S. had their state-building process, Cuba had been considered as a potential member of the United States of America. By the beginning of the XX century, Washington had refused the inclusion of Cuba as a member of the U.S. But the USA got almost complete control over domestic and foreign policy of the island. At the same time, Cuba was included in the general vector of the US Latin American policy. After the victory of the revolution in 1959 and the beginning of the Soviet-Cuban cooperation, the U.S. had regarded Cuba through the confrontation with the Soviet Union in the framework of the Cold War. Cuba had taken one of the top places among the U.S. national interests.
U.S., Cuba, Latin America, Big Stick Policy, Dollar Diplomacy
- PASICHNYK N.S. (2014) Evoliutsiia amerykanskoi polityky shchodo Kuby za prezydentstva Dzh. Kennedi. Hileia: naukovyi visnyk. 82. pp. 443-447.
- SKLIARENKO O.O. (2012) Vplyv kubynskoho lobi na zovnishniu ta vnutrishniu polityku SShA (1960-ti rr. – poch. XXI st.). Visnyk Kyivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka. 109. pp. 55-57.
- TUSINOV E.G. (2013) Jevoljucija doktriny Monro v otnoshenii Kuby. Izvestija Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossijskoj akademii nauk. Vol.15. No.1. pp. 146-149.
- Agreement Between the United States and Cuba for the Lease of Lands for Coaling and Naval stations; February 23, 1903. The Avalon Project: Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/dip_cuba002.asp.
- Caracas Declaration of Solidarity; March 28, 1954. The Avalon Project: Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/intam10.asp#1.
- FRANKLIN J. (2008) Cuba and the United States: A Chronological History. New York: Ocean Press.
- BERNSTEIN D., MAGOC C.J., eds. (2015) Imperialism and Expansionism in American History: A Social, Political, and Cultural Encyclopedia and Document Collection: in 4 volumes. Vol.1. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO.
- LEOGRANDE W.M., KORNBLUH P. (2015) Back Channel to Cuba: The Hidden History of Negotiations between Washington and Havana. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press.
- List of the Public Acts and Resolutions Contained in This Volume. Acts of the Fifty-sixth Congress of the United States. Library of Congress. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.loc.gov/law/help/statutes-at-large/56th-congress/c56.pdf.
- MONROE J. Seventh Annual Message. December 2, 1823. The American Presidency Project. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29465.
- MORALES DOMINGUEZ E., PREVOST G. (2008) United States – Cuban Relations: a critical history. Plymouth: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc.
- PERES L.A., Jr. (2003) Cuba and the United States: Ties of Singular Intimacy. Athens: The University of Georgia Press.
- ROOSVELT F.D. 1 Inaugural Address. March 4, 1933. The American Presidency Project. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=14473.
- SCHLESINGER A., Jr. (2005) The American Empire? Not So Fast. World Policy Journal. Vol.XXII. №1. pp.43-46. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://web.archive.org/web/20080522110137/http://www.worldpolicy.org/journal/articles/wpj05sp/schlesinger.pdf.
- (1899) The Statutes at Large of the United States of America from March, 1897, to March 1899, and Recent Treaties, Conventions, Executive Proclamations, and the Concurrent Resolutions of the Two Houses of Congress. Vol.XXX. Washington: Government Printing Office. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.loc.gov/law/help/statutes-at-large/55th-congress/c55.pdf.
- Treaty Between the United States of America and Cuba; May 29, 1934. The Avalon Project: Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/dip_cuba001.asp#art2.
- (1899) Treaty of Peace between the United States and Spain. Message from the President of the United States, transmitting a Treaty of Peace between the United States and Spain, Signed at the City of Paris, on December, 10, 1898. Accompanying Papers. Washington, Government printing office. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://archive.org/details/treatyofpeacebet00spai.
- WHITE N.D. (2015) The Cuban Embargo Under International Law: El Bloqueo. New York: Routledge.