Dmytro Lakishyk, Ph.D. in History, Senior Research Fellow, The State Institution «Institute of World History of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine»
The article analyzes the doctrinal and geostrategic foundation of the US foreign policy in the period from George Bush to Barack Obama. We argue that the fundamental approach G.W. Bush was formally based on the concept of critical geopolitics, which made possible to use all known forms of influence to change the political and economic state systems in its focus. Further, we show that key means of implementing this strategy were: the rejection of isolationism and protectionism; focus on leadership as an alternative to isolationism; free and fair trade and open markets as opposed to protectionism; preventive influence on events.
The Obama administration demonstrates a clear commitment to multilateralism in making and implementing decisions that carry global significance. The proposed Barack Obama’s foreign policy strategy contains a number of important innovations of tactical and strategic nature: in particular, for the first time it combines all of the key tools of American influence – diplomacy, economic instruments, military strength and intelligence; national security forces to serve geopolitical interests. We discuss four aspects of the foreign policy – security; economic prosperity; promotion of «universal values»; strengthening of world order under the American leadership.
International political strategy of the USA maintains a global focus, which requires daily reinforcement of global leadership and safeguarding of the active ties with allies and partners. US maintain a unique set of tools that enable a targeted and multidimensional influence on the world economy and international relations. At the same time, US foreign policy is becoming more balanced and restrained, avoiding excessive obligations, risk or resources.
US foreign policy, the Strategy of «Global Democratization, National Security Strategy
- DULERAIN YU. (2010) U SShA opryliudnyly novu stratehiiu natsionalnoi bezpeky. Radio svoboda. May 27. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.radiosvoboda.org/ content/article/2054788.html.
- LAKISHYK D. (2015) Doktryna «hlobalnoi demokratyzatsii» Dzh. Busha-molodshoho. In: Proceeding of 2nd Spolucheni Shtaty Ameryky u suchasnomu sviti: polityka, ekonomika, pravo, suspilstvo. international conference, Lviv, May 2015. Lviv: Tsentr amerykanskykh studii FMV LNU im. I. Franka. pp. 52-59.
- LINK V. (2003) Imperskij ili pljuralisticheskij mir? Internationale Politik. 3. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.deutschebotschaft-moskau.ru/ru/bibliothek/internationale-politik/2003 -03/article06.html.
- SOLANA KH. (2010) Stratehiia bezpeky dlia XXI stolittia. Den. June 17. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.day.kiev.ua/uk/article/den-planeti/strategiya-bezpeki-dlya-xxi-stolittya.
- BESCHLOSS M.R., TALBOTT S. (1993) At the Highest Levels. The Inside Story of the Cold War. Boston: Little, Brown and Co.
- CLINTON B. (1993) Address to the Diplomatic Corps. January 18, 1993. Department of State Dispatch. 1993, February 1. pp. 57-58.
- FRIEDMAN G. (2009) Obama’s Foreign Policy: The End of the Beginning. A Stratfor Intelligence Report. Stratfor Worldview [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20090824_obamas_foreign_policy_end_beginning.
- HAYWARD S.J. (2001) The Age of Reagan: The Decline of the Old Liberal Order, 1964–1980. New York: Prima.
- HOFF J., FARNHAM С. (1990) Theories about the End of Everything. Journal of Women’s History. 1. pp. 6-12.
- International Herald Tribune. 1992, November 6. pp. 1-2.
- KUPCHAN C., TRUBOWITZ P. (2007) Liberal Visions at Home and Abroad. Dead Center: The Demise of Liberal Internationalism in the United States. International Security. Vol.32. No.2. pp. 48-60.
- LARRABEE F.S., CHIVVIS CH. (2009) Biden’s task in Eastern Europe: Reassurance. The Christian Science Monitor [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2009/1020/p09s03-coop.html.
- MACK J. (1983) Nationalism and the Self. The Psychohistory Review. 1983, Spring. pp. 47-48.
- (2002) А National Security Strategy of the United States of America. Washington, DC: The White House. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/63562.pdf.
- (2010) А National Security Strategy of the United States of America. – Washington, DC: The White House. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/national_ security_strategy.pdf.
- (2015) А National Security Strategy of the United States of America. – Washington, DC: The White House. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2015_ national_security_strategy_2.pdf.
- (1999) The Reader’s Guide to the NATO Summit in Washington 23-24 April 1999. Brussels.
- SCHLESINGER A.(Jr.) (1995) Back to the Womb? Isolationism’s New Threat. Foreign Affairs. Vol.74. No.2. pp. 2-8.
- SCHMITT G. (2002) Case of Continuity. The National Interest. 69. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nationalinterest. org/Article.aspx?id=16753.
- (2012) State of the Union: President Obama’s Speech 2012, January 24. Washington, D.C. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/state-of-the-union-2012.
- WOODWARD B. (2004) Plan of Attack. New York: Simon & Schuster.