Yuriy Skorokhod, Doctor of Political Science, Professor, Institute of International Relations, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine
The article deals with the US policy in the Middle East under President Obama and the factors that influenced Washington’s Middle East policy in terms of the transformation of the regional environment. The main focus is on detection and investigation of features of Obama’s administration Middle East policy. The factors that led to the transformation of US policy in the region, especially during the Obama administration and the consequences that will further weaken the US position in the Middle East are analyzed. The reweaving of American interests and strategic priorities of the United States in the Middle East in the new global and regional geo-strategic realities are described. The attention is focused on fact that the feature of Obama Middle East policy is that there appeared a significant gap between its rhetoric (declaration of political intent) and practical implementation of the ideas proclaimed. Internal factors affecting the determination of the Middle East polity Obama administration, including negative attitudes of Americans to further US military involvement in the conflict in the Middle East are characterized. The article determines that the Obama’s administration Middle East policy can be characterized as mainly reactive pragmatic approach, which included situational responses to the challenges that faced the United States.
the USA, the Middle East, the B. Obama administration
- HONCHAR B.M. (2013) Vashynhton i palestyno-izrailskyi konflikt: polityka Baraka Obamy. Proceeding of international conference Aktualni problemy novitnoi istorii zarubizhnykh krain (do 105-yi richnytsi z dnia narodzhennia d.i.n., prof. V. Ya.Tarasenka ta 20-richchia vstanovlennia dyplomatychnykh vidnosyn mizh Ukrainoiu ta Derzhavoiu Izrail). Kyiv: Lohos. pp.67-68.
- DEMISHEVA M. Yaderna uhoda z Iranom: peremoha mizhnarodnoi dyplomatii chy cherhova pomylka? [Online]. Avaliable from: http://iac.org.ua/yaderna-ugoda-z-iranom-peremoga-mizhnarodnoyi-diplomatiyi-chi-chergova-pomilka/
- KISSINDZHER G. (2015) Mirovoj porjadok. Moskva: ATS.
- (2016) Saudovskoj Aravii pora nauchit’sja uzhivat’sja v odnom regione s Iranom – Obama Nabat – vremja znat’ bol’she. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://nabat.in.ua/stat/saudovskoj-aravii-pora-nauchitsya-uzhivatsya-v-odnom-regione-s-iranom-obama/
- GERGES F.A. (2013) The Obama approach to the Middle East: the end of America’s moment? International Affairs. 89 (2). pp. 299-323.
- HAASS R.N. (2013) The Irony of American Strategy. Putting the Middle East in Proper Perspective. Foreign Affairs. Vol.92. No.3. pp. 57-67.
- KAPLAN F. (2016) Obama’s Way. The President in Practice. Foreign Affairs. Vol.95. No.1. pp.46-63.
- KRIEG A. (2016) Externalizing the burden of war: the Obama Doctrine and US foreign policy in the Middle East. International Affairs. 92(1). pp. 97-113.
- LYNCH M. (2015) Obama and the Middle East. Rightsizing the U.S. Role. Foreign Affairs. Vol.94. No. 5. pp. 18-27.
- MALLEY R., HARLING P. (2010) Beyond Moderates and Militants. How Obama Can Chart a New Course in the Middle East. Foreign Affairs. Vol.89. No.5. pp. 18-29.
- MEAD W. (2014) The Return of Geopolitics. The Revenge of the Revisionist Powers. Foreign Affairs. Vol.93. No.3. pp. 69-79.
- COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN RELATIONS U.S. SENATE (2011) Popular Uprising in the Middle East: The Implications for U.S. Policy. Hearings before the Committee on Foreign Relations United States Senate 112th Congress 1st Session, March 17, 2011. Washington: Government Printing Office.
- SIMON S., STEVENSON J. (2015) The End of Pax Americana. Why Washington’s Middle East Pullback Makes Sense. Foreign Affairs. Vol.94. No.6. pp. 2-10.