Anatoliy Khudoliy, Ph.D. (Political Science), Professor, Department of International Relations Ostroh Academy National University, Ostroh, Ukraine
The article deals with American-Chinese and American-Indian relationships in the 21st century.
The researcher focused on political, military and economic aspects of cooperation between Washington and Beijing, Washington and New Deli over the last few years of the twenty-first century. The author of the article has analyzed major tendencies of development of American-Chinese relationships in the context of bilateral cooperation during the presidency of Barack Obama and Donald Trump. The economic and security activities of China, oriented to a strengthening of leadership positions of Beijing, as a key actor, in the regional policy were detailed. Along with it, the author shifted attention to Washington priorities in bilateral relations considering its pragmatic purposes and national interests which considerably influence foreign policy course of the United States. Despite close relations between the USA and the People’s Republic of China, there are factors that set limits for the strategic partnerships between the two countries. The author analyzed not only foreign policy of the United States but also the foreign policy strategy of China that hides interventionism behind the economic policy, trade, economic activity and projects such as ‘One belt, one road’. Some cases of conflict situations between China and its neighbors are analyzed in order to highlight problems.
The author analyzed definite political and economic steps made by President Trump in order to strengthen American positions and regional security. Under the support of Washington, India, Japan, and Australia play more important roles as regional actors. India’s role in the regional confrontation between the United States and China is well depicted. Since 2017 India increased its positions in exporting goods and services to the United States, which is one of the main markets after China and the EU. Nevertheless, the USA is still a key player in the region. So, developing trade, financial and military relations, the USA is attempting not only to preserve, but also to strengthen its own positions in the Asia-Pacific and, as a result, to contain China.
Keywords: the USA, China, India, Japan, regional politics, the Asia-Pacific, the Indo-Pacific.
- Buzarov A.I.(2018). Osnovni vektory zovnishn”oyi polityky Kytayu v 2018 r. Zhurnal “Ukrayina-Kytaj”, № 5 (11). Retrieved from http://sinologist.com. ua/buzarov-osnovni-vektory-zovnishnoyi-polityky-kytayu -v-2018-r/
- Buravkina A.H. (2016). Evolyuciya sxidnoazijs”koyi polityky SShA: avtoref. dys. na zdobuttya nauk. stupenya kand. polit. nauk.: spec. 23.00.04. «Politychni problemy mizhnarodnyx system ta hlobal”noho rozvytku». Kyyiv, 2016. 22 s.
- Zhelixovs”kyj S.V. (2018). Konhres Spoluchenyx Shtativ Ameryky u formuvanni zovnishn”opolitychnoyi stratehiyi XXI stolittya: avtoref. dys. na zdobuttya nauk. stupenya kand. polit. nauk.: spec. 23.00.04. «Politychni problemy mizhnarodnyx system ta hlobal”noho rozvytku». Mykolayiv, 2018. 20 s.
- Kadomcev Andrej (29.11. 2017). Politika SShA v Aziatsko-Tihookeanskom regione: peremeny nazrevajut. Mezhdunarodnaja zhizn’. Retrieved from https://interaffairs.ru/news/show/18875
- Kamal’ Ahmed. (17 janvarja 2017). Si Dzin’pin: “V torgovyh vojnah ne byvaet pobeditelej”. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/ russian/features-38650748 Accessed August 26, 2019.
- Kaspruk Viktor (5 chervnya 2012 r.). Kytaj i Indiya: vzayemna nedovira odyn do odnoho. Tyzhden UA. Retrieved from https://tyzhden.ua/World/52111
- Kurando O.S. (2019). Doktryna Obamy u zovnishnij polityci SShA: avtoref. dys. na zdobuttya nauk. stupenya k. polit. nauk.: spec. 00.04. «Politychni problemy mizhnarodnyx system ta hlobal”noho rozvytku». Odesa, 2019. 19 s.
- Murashkina M.Z. (2015). Vzayemodiya ta supernyctvo Rosiyi, SShA i Kytayu v Central”nij Aziyi: avtoref. dys. na zdobuttya nauk. stupenya kand. polit. nauk.: spec. 23.00.04. «Politychni problemy mizhnarodnyx system ta hlobal”noho rozvytku». Mykolayiv, 2015. 20 s.
- Radziyevs”ka S., Us I., Pokryshka D. (2017). Hlobal”ni dominanty rozvytku Kytayu. Mizhnarodna ekonomichna polityka. № 1 (26). Retrieved from http://iepjournal.com/journals/26/2017_7_Radziievska_Us_Pokryshka.pdf
- SShA vyshli iz Transtihookeanstkogo partnerstva: chto dal’she? (24 janvarja 2017). Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-38729182
- Tryhub O.P., Ryzhykova A.Yu. Suchasni doktryny ta koncepciyi zovnishn”oyi polityky SShA shhodo Central”noyi Aziyi (2015). Molodyj vchenyj. № 2, 179-182.
- Akhtar Illias, Kronstadt Alan. (April 3, 2019). S.-India trade relations. Retrieved from https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/IF10384.pdf
- Brown Adrian.( May 17, 2019). Huawei and the cold tech war between US and China. Al Jazeera. Retrieved from https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/ huawei-cold-tech-war-china-190517061336081.html
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: The National Military Strategy of the United States of America. Redefining America’s Military Washington DC (8 February 2011). Retrieved from https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/strategy/020811084800_2011_NMS_-_08_FEB_ 2011.pdf
- Chanlett-Avery Emma, Kronstadt Alan K., Lawrence Susan V., Manyin Mark E. (December 14, 2018). The Asia Pacific: Challenges and Opportunities for U.S. Policy. Retrieved from https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/IF11047.pdf
- Clinton H. America’s Pacific Century (October 12, 2011). Foreign Affairs. Retrieved from https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/10/11/americas-pacific-century/
- Department of Defense: Sustaining U.S. Global Leadership: Priorities for 21st Century Defense. Washington. (05 January 2012). Retrieved from https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/strategy/Defense_Strategic_Guidance_ pdf
- Global Trends 2025: A Transformed World. (November 2008). 100 p. Retrieved from https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/94769/2008_11_Global_Trends_ 2025.pdf
- Goldman David. (May 21, 2019).What did Huawei do to land in such hot water with the US. CNN Business. Retrieved from https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/ 20/tech/huawei-us/index.html
- India-China bilateral trade hits historic high of $84.44 billion in 2017 (March 7, 2018). The Times of India. Retrieved from https://timesofindia.indiatimes. com/india/india-china-bilateral-trade-hits-historic-high-of-84-44-billion-in-2017/articleshow/ 63202401.cms.
- ‘Indo Pacific over Asia Pacific’ reflects India’s rise: US official (July 11, 2018). The Economic Times. Retrieved from https://economictimes.indiatimes. com/news/defence/indo-pacific-over-asia-pacific-reflects-indias-rise-us-official/articleshow /61519684.cms?from=mdr
- Narendra Modi. (12 November 2014). Remarks by the Prime Minister at 12th India-ASEAN Summit. Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar. Retrieved from https://mea.gov.in/Speeches-Statements.htm?dtl/24236/Remarks+by+the+ Prime+Minister+at+12th+IndiaASEAN+Summit+Nay+Pyi+Taw+Myanmar
- National Defense Strategy of the United States of America.(2018). Retrieved from https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/strategy.htm#security
- Paal Douglas.(January 31, 2019). America’s Future in a Dynamic Asia. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Retrieved from https://carnegi org/2019/01/31/america-s-future-in-dynamic-asia-pub-78222
- Pomfret Richard. (02 May 2018). The Eurasian Landbridge and China’s Belt and Road Initiative. Vox. Retrieved from https://voxeu.org/article/eurasian-landbridge-and-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative
- Pramuk Jacob. (January 25, 2018). Trump: I would reconsider a massive Pacific trade deal if it were ‘substantially better’. CNBC. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/trump-says-he-would-reconsider-trans-pacific-partnership-trade-deal.html
- Rajendram Danielle.(December 2014). India’s new Asia-Pacific strategy: Modi acts East. Retrieved from: https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/186677/indias-new-asia-pacific-strategy -modi-acts-east.pdf
- Rapoza Kenneth. (Dec. 10, 2018). Trade War Update: China Subverts Tariffs, Trade Gap Gets Wider. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ kenrapoza/2018/12/10/trade-war-update-china-subverts-tariffs-trade-gap-gets-wider/#732b 105950e5
- Remarks by President Trump on his Trip to Asia. (November 15, 201). Retrieved from https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-trip-asia/
- Regional Economic Outlook: Asia Pacific. (May 2018). International Monetary Fund. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/REO/ APAC/ Issues/2018/04/16/areo0509
- Stavridis James. (February 22, 2019). China’s steady plan to take control of the Asia-Pacific region. Financial Review. Retrieved from https://www.afr.com/ world/ chinas-steady-plan-to-take-control-of-the-asiapacific-region-20190222-h1bl57
- Taylor Adam. (April 13, 2018). A timeline of Trump’s complicated relationship with the TPP. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www. washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/04/13/a-timeline-of-trumps-complicated-relationship-with-the-tpp/
- 3-ird India – U.S. Maritime Security Dialogue. (2018). Retrieved from URL: https://media.defense.gov/2018/May/04/2001912429/-1//1/3RD%20INDIA %20US%20MARITIME%20 DIALOGUE.PDF
- Wiseman Paul, and Zeke Miller and Catherine Lucey. (Dec. 2, 2018). US, China Put Brakes on Trade Dispute with Cease-Fire. AP News, associated Press. Retrieved from https://apnews.com/449e5545c30b42739934e79ba 2429126.
- Zaretsky Renu. (3 July 2018). Tariffs, Trade and Time: Making America Pay Again. Tax Policy Center. Urban Institute and Brookings Institution. Retrieved from https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/tariffs-trade-and-time-making-america-pay-again.