Yulia Panchenko, Ph.D. in History, Assistant Professor, Sumy State University
The article discusses the process of changing political doctrines in international politics by Ronald Reagan. A neoconservative ideology offers idea of restoring American greatness in the 21st century. It incorporates the principles of political power and geopolitics, of stable democracy, economic prosperity. His political ideology – neo-conservatism – based on free markets, low taxes, and less influence of government regulation to private companies. Therefore, he was sure that stable and free economy could help in American military preeminence. President Reagan contributed mightily not only to the demise of the Soviet Union, but also to the democratic expansion around the world.
The first foreign policy goal of Ronald Reagan was crushed the communism and USSR. His international politics, which became known as the Reagan Doctrine (this Doctrine is consist from some doctrines), was based on new policy towards the Soviet Union – to confront the USSR and on supported anti-communist groups around the world. The One of Reagan’s proposals was the Strategic Defense Initiative. Reagan believed and was sure this defense shield could stop nuclear war. The next step in this policy was to decrease Soviet URL to high technology and depressing the value of Soviet commodities on the world market. After that was new doctrine to reached eliminating ballistic missiles, or nuclear weapons altogether. Results of Reagan’s foreign affairs is the destroyed Soviet Union. The next main direction of Reagan international politic was the politic of hegemony in Europe. Reagan doctrines was foundation for America’s military primacy, on which freedom still depends and most visible was the massive American military build-up.
Neoconservatism, R. Reagan, the Cold War, SDI, Reagan Doctrine
- (1982) Defense directives. The New York Times. 1982, May 3; (1982) Defense directives. The New York Times. 1982, June 4.
- (1985) Department of State bulletin. 85. Washington, D.C.: Office of Public Communications, Bureau of Public Affairs, p. 13.
- HUNTINGTON S.(1993) The Clash of Civilizations? Foreign Affairs. Vol.72. No.3. pp. 26, 48-49.
- HUNTINGTON S.(1999) The Lonely Superpower. Foreign Affairs. Vol.78. No.2. p. 36.
- KAGAN R., KRISTOL W. (2000) The Present Danger. The National Interest. 59. pp. 57-69.
- KAUFMANN W.A.(1986) Reasonable Defense. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press. p. 32.
- KURTH J.R.(1988) The United States and the Western Europe in the Reagan Era / James Kurth // In Morris H.Morley ed. Crisis and confrontation Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy. New-York: Rowman & Littlefield. p. 48.
- Orbis. 2005, Fall. p. 640.
- REAGAN R.(1980) Inaugural Address. US News and World Report. 1980, November 26. p. 36.
- REAGAN R.(1983) Remarks at the Conservative Political Action Conference Dinner. 1983, February 18. Ronald Reagan Presidential Library Foundation. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.reagan.utexas.edu.
- (2004) Amerikano-sovetskoe protivoborstvo v poslevoennyj period. Jekonomicheskie i voenno-tehnologicheskie sostavljajushhie gosudarstvennyh doktrin SShA i SSSR. Moskva. p. 128.
- BZHEZINSKYI Z.(2000) Velyka shakhivnytsia. Lviv–Ivano-Frankivsk: Lileia-NV. p. 50.
- (1989) Vneshnjaja politika i diplomaticheskaja dejatel’nost’ SSSR (aprel’ 1985 g. – oktjabr’ 1989 g.). Obzor MID SSSR // Mezhdunarodnaja zhizn’. 12. p. 16.
- ISRAELJAN V.(1984) SShA vzryvajut process razoruzhenija. Mezhdunarodnaja zhizn’. 10. p. 39.
- KRYZHANOVSKIJ A.V.(2009) SShA i evropejskaja integracija v 1990-e gody koncepcija i politicheskaja praktika. Moskva. p. 112.
- MALASHENKO I.E.(1991) SShA posle totalitarizma i «holodnoj vojni». Mezhdunarodnaja zhizn’. 5. pp. 5-6.
- MEL’VIL’A.JU. (1986) SShA – sdvig vpravo? Konservatizm v idejno-politicheskoj zhizni SShA v 80-h godah. Moskva. p. 115.
- REJGAN R.(1992) Zhizn’ po-amerikanski. Moskva. pp. 548.
- (1984) SShA: Konservativnaja volna. Moskva. pp.96-97, 106-107.
- SHAGOV A.E.(2004) Istoricheskij opyt organizacii i provedenija vooruzhennymi silami SShA psihologicheskih operacij v hode lokal’nyh vojn i vooruzhennyh konfliktov v 1980-2000 gg. Unpublished thesis (PhD). Institut voennoj istorii Ministerstva oborony Rossijskoj Federacii, Moskva.
- SHAKLEINA T.A.(2003) Koncepcii vneshnej politiki SShA posle okonchanija holodnoj vojny. Unpublished thesis (Doctor of Political sciences). Institut SShA i Kanady Rossijskoj Akademii Nauk, Moskva.