PECULIARITIES OF THE FOREIGN POLICY COURSE IN EASTERN EUROPE DURING THE PRESIDENCY OF D. TRUMP
Sumy State Pedagogical University named after A. S. Makarenko, Sumy, Ukraine.
Abstract. The article examines the US foreign policy in Eastern Europe course under Donald Trump’s presidency. It is noted that the countries of the Eastern European region are one of the main players, whose internal situation influences the balance of power and the general position of Europe, as well as the foreign policy of the United States. It is worth noting that US foreign policy and its practical implementation in the international arena, including in historical retrospect, is of great interest to American scientists. In the wake of the Russian-Ukrainian war, the study of US foreign policy strategy for Eastern Europe becomes even more relevant and is determined by the fact that after D. Trump came to power, the foreign policy vector was changed.
The aim of the article is a comprehensive study of US foreign policy in Eastern Europe under President D. Trump. The article provides a content analysis of the main strategies of the United States during the presidency of D. Trump, which examines the importance of the Eastern European vector in US foreign policy.
Research methods are based on the principles of historicism and objectivity. In the process of analysis, the author applied general scientific principles of analysis and synthesis and the method of critical analysis of sources, which includes content analysis.
The scientific novelty of the obtained results lies in the substantive and structural analysis of the US foreign policy in Eastern Europe during the presidency of D. Trump.
The conclusions emphasize the importance of the Eastern European vector in US foreign policy strategy at the present stage. It is noted that after the Russian aggression in eastern Ukraine in 2014 and the annexation of Crimea, a new wave of US interest in the Eastern European region began. The author considers the peculiarities of bilateral cooperation between the United States and Eastern Europe. The basic principles of D. Trump’s policy towards this region are analyzed and the probability of their implementation in specific political steps is assessed.
Key words: USA, Eastern Europe, NATO, D. Trump, European integration, foreign policy of USA.
- Brusylovska, O. (2000). US policy in Eastern Europe: concepts and reality. Rule of Law, 2, 90–95. [Іn Ukrainian].
- Pohorska, I. (2019). US-Europe relations: the crisis of the transatlantic paradigm. Politicus: Science magazine, 5, 59–[Іn Ukrainian].
- Khudolii, A. (2009). US foreign policy in Eastern Europe and prospects for Ukraine’s development in the 90s of the twentieth century. Scientific Bulletin of Uzhgorod University, 12, 194–198. [Іn Ukrainian].
- Andrzej Duda at the summit of the Three Seas Initiative: we have created a new type of partnership. (2022, Junе 20). TVN24. Poland. http://surl.li/cgmof. [In Polish].
- Blackwill, & Rappleye, Т. (2017, June 22). Trump’s Five Mistaken Reasons for Withdrawing From the Trans-Pacific Partnership. http://surl.li/cgmoj.[Іn English].
- Crimea Declaration. (2018, July 25). S. Department of State. https://www.state.gov/crimea-declaration/. [Іn English].
- Dale, (2017). Trump’s foreign trip tells a tale of two Europes. Heritage Foundation. http://surl.li/cgmoq. [Іn English].
- Gingrich, (2017). Understanding Trump. N.Y.; Nashville, TN: Hachette Book Group. [Іn English].
- Hastedt, G. (2017). American Foreign Policy: Past, Present and Future. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. [Іn English].
- Huntington, (1993). The Clash of Civilizations? Foreign Affairs, 72(3), 22–49. [Іn English].
- Malley, R. (2018, July 16). Ukraine Is Ground Zero for the Crisis Between Russia and the West. The Atlantic. http://surl.li/cgmor.[Іn English].
- Mead, W. (2017). The Jacksonian revolt: American populism and the liberal order. Foreign affairs, 96 (2), 2–7. http://surl.li/cgmov. [Іn English].
- National Security Strategy of the United States of America. (2017, December). Historical Office. Office of the Secretary of Defense. http://surl.li/cgmoy.[Іn English].
- Stanford, С. (2018, July 12). NATO Summit, Papa John’s Pizza, Stormy Daniels: Your Thursday Briefing. The New York Times. http://surl.li/cgmoz. [Іn English].
- Trump: What does the US contribute to NATO in Europe? (2021, June 14). BBC News. http://surl.li/cgmpi. [Іn English].
- Trump says NATO «no longer obsolete». (2017, April 13). CNN. http://surl.li/cgmpd.[Іn English].
- Watkins, (2018, March 10). Trump hits EU on trade days after imposing new tariffs. CNN. http://surl.li/cgmpg.[Іn English].