Iryna Borovets, post-graduate student of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Throughout the entire period of the European integration of the Republic of Croatia, its relations with the USA not only haven’t fallen to the background due to the country’s overwhelming EU-membership oriented activities and influenced significantly Croatian dialogue with Brussels, but also certainly influenced the foreign policy of Zagreb. Therefore, studying European integration of Croatia without a closer look at the Croatian relations with the USA as its strategic partner over that period would be incomplete.
The importance of the USA for Croatia could be explained by the Euro-Atlantic aspiration of the latter, as well as by the American influence on its perspective of the NATO membership. What is more, the military cooperation between the two countries became very dynamic over this period due to the US’ perception of Croatia as a main regional partner in the South-East Europe and the future EU and NATO member, which would be capable of contributing to stabilizing the region and being an ally of Washington in its fundamental international initiatives. Over the recent years, when the processes of integration in Europe felt the loss of dynamics and consequently opened a door for possible instability in the South-East Europe, Croatia gained more weight in the US’ perception in the capacity of a partner and of the democratic country with stable security situation, operational market economy, respected human rights, which could positively influence the neighboring states.
Key words: Croatian-American relations, Croatia, USA, military cooperation.
- GALBRAITH, P. (1997) The role of the United States in the New Security Order in Europe. Croatian International Relations Review. 8/9. P.101-104. [Online].– Available from: http://hrcak.srce.hr/7202 [Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- VUKADINOVIĆ, R. (1998) US Policy in the Southeast Europe. Politička misao. 5. pp. 89-104. [Online]. Available from: https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/51087. [Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- BARTLETT, W. (2003) Croatia: Between Europe and the Balkans. London: Routledge.
- MONTGOMERY, W.T. (1998). Croatia’s Roadmap to Partnership for Peace. Croatian International Relations Review. 11. P. 88-90.
- DUMANOVIC, N., JANKOVIC, D. (2016) Balkan Chess: Serbia, Croatia, and the Second Cold War. Foreign Policy Journal [Online]. Available from: https://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2016/02/22/balkan-chess-serbia-croatia-and-the-second-cold-war [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- SKRPEC, D. (2017). Croatia, Russia, and the Balkan Great Game: Why the West Needs Zagreb. Foreign Affairs. [Online] Available from:
- https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/croatia/2017-07-25/croatia-russia-and-balkan-great-game July, 25, 2017.[Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- GRDEŠIĆ, I. (2004) US-Adriatic Charter of Partnership. Politička misao. No. 5. P.104–122. [Online]. Available from: http://hrcak.srce.hr/21148?lang=en [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- TABAK, I. Što je Hrvatska do danas zaradila od SAD [Online] Available from: http://obris.org/hrvatska/sto-je-hrvatska-do-danas-zaradila-od-sad [Accessed: 19 November 2017]
- BROKEN PROMISES: IMPEDIMENTS TO REFUGEE RETURN TO CROATIA (2003). Human Rights Watch. [Online] Available from: http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/croatia0903/). [Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- MESIĆ, M., BAGIĆ, D. (2011) Manjinski povratak u Hrvatsku- studija otvorenog procesa.Ured Visokog povjerenika Ujedinjenih naroda za izbjeglice. [Online]. Available from: https://bib.irb.hr/datoteka/603986.Manjinski_povratak_2011_final.pdf [Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- COALITION FOR THE INERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT. (2006) Status of US bilateral immunity agreements [Online] Available from: http://www.iccnow.org/documents/CICCFS_BIAstatusCurrent.pdf [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- SAD će zabraniti vojnu pomoć za 35 zemalja (2003). [Online] Available from:http://www.index.hr/Vijesti/clanak/sad-ce-zabraniti-vojnu-pomoc-za-35-zemalja/146260.aspx [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- Premijer Sanader: Posjet SAD-u vrlo uspješan i koristan (2006). Vlada RH [Online] Available from: https://vlada.gov.hr/vijesti/premijer-sanader-posjet-sad-u-vrlo-uspjesan-i-koristan/5646 [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- Bush gets warm welcome in Croatia amid anti-U.S. protests (2008). Foxnews [Online] Available from: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/04/04/bush-gets-warm-welcome-in-croatia-amid-anti-us-protests.html. [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- Posjet Predsjednika Busha Zagrebu jača ulogu Hrvatske u regiji (2012). Reuters [Online] Available from: https://ba.voanews.com/a/a-37-2008-04-02-voa2-85983632/1159278.html [Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- Hillary Clinton u Vladi s Milanovićem i Vesnom Pusić (2012). TPORTAL. [Online] Available from: https://www.tportal.hr/vijesti/clanak/hillary-clinton-u-vladi-s-milanovicem-i-vesnom-pusic-20121031 [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- CONGRATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE (2001) CRS report for congress: Croatia: Basic Facts [Online]: Available from https://www.everycrsreport.com/files/20010611_95-668_91e323c0d352dea589456debbf2c4cb656de5286.pdf [Accessed: 20 November 2017]
- CONGRESS RESEARCH SERVICE (2014) Security Assistance Reform: “Section 1206” Background and Issues for Congress [Online]. Available from: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RS22855.pdf [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- DEFENSE SECURITY COOPERATION AGENCY (2014) The Defense Security Cooperation Agency Helps Its Foreign Partners. [Online] Available from: http://www.dsca.mil/programs/excess-defense-articles-eda [Accessed: 22 November 2017]
- MINISTARSTVO VANJSKIH I EUROPSKIH POSLOVA. (2017) Gospodarska diplomacija MVEP RH: SAD.MVEP RH. [Online] Available from: https://ru.scribd.com/document/347910700/GD-Web-Profili-I-Q-17-SAD#download. – [Accessed: 23 November 2017]