Tetiana Perga, Ph.D. in History, senior researcher, State Institution «Institute of the world history of National Academy of Science of Ukraine»
Features of the public policy in the preservation of historic and natural heritage in the United States and its specific features, among which an integrated approach that gives for natural resources and picturesque scenery, along with historical monuments, national heritage significance are investigated. It is analyzed the origin of this policy, which was born after the end of the XIX century, when after the Civil War in the USA increased the interest to history and rich natural resources. It is concluded that environmental policy in the USA, which included the achievements of social and political movements, such as conservation and historical preservation, gave impetus to the policy of saving the national heritage. The main directions of the state policy in the field of protection the natural resources are analyzed, in particular: taking into account the preservation of historical and natural attractions in the city planning and construction; stimulation the interest of citizens to the recreation in the national historical and natural parks, which stimulates development of appropriate infrastructure; building close links with education and giving URL to these places to wide auditory (in the first place – schoolchildren, students and teachers); taking into account the imperatives of combating with climate change. It is proved, that they reflect not only the national specificity, but also meet the challenges of today.
USA, conservation, historical preservation, heritage, environmental policy, Theodore Roosevelt
- America’s Great Outdoors Initiative. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ceq/initiatives/ago.
- MCMANAMON F.P. (2000) Antiquities Act of 1906. In Linda Ellis edited Archaeological Method and Theory: An Encyclopedia. New York and London: Garland Publishing Co. pp.33-35. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nps.gov/archeology/tools/laws/antact.htm.
- Climate friendly parks Program. National Park Service. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nps.gov/subjects/climatechange/cfpprogram.htm.
- Green Historic Preservation Initiative. U.S. Environmental Protectional Agency. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www3.epa.gov/region5/sustainable/historicpreservation.html.
- DILSAVER L.M. (1994) America’s National Park System. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Interior Department Supported $358 Billion in Economic Activity, 2 Million Jobs in 2014. Bureau of land management. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/media_center/newsroom/2015/june_/interior_department.html.
- Historic Landscape Preservation Initiative. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/conservation/cultural-resources/historic-landscape-preservation-initiative.html.
- Historic Preservation Fund (HPF). [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.preservationnation.org.
- Historic Sites Act 1935. National Park Service. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/hsact35.htm.
- (1958) Historical Statistics of the United States. Colonial Times to 1957. Washington.
- National Heritage Areas. National Park Service [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nps.gov/heritageareas.
- (2008) EJournal USA. Vol.13. No.7. National parks – national heritage. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ukraine/238746/ejournals/ejournal_parks_ukr.pdf.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.preservationnation.org.
- Park, Parkway and Recreational Area Study Act, 1936. National Park Service [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/anps/anps_3e.htm.
- PERGA T. (1997) On the background of the environmental policy of the US government in the late 19th century Questions of Modern History, interdepartmental scientific journals. Vol.43. pp. 29-36.
- PERGA T. (1997) To the history of the policy of conservation of natural resources in the United States in the early XX century (1900-1908). Kyiv: Ukraine National Academy of Sciences, Institute of World. Economy and International relations.
- PRINGLE H.F. (1962) The life and Times of Theoвore Roosevelt. New York.
- PRINGLE H.F. (1931) Theodore Roosevelt. New York.
- Zion National Park Environmental Management System (EMS) Template. National Park Service. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.nps.gov/subjects/climatechange/upload/ZION_Action-Plan.pdf.