Oksana Osadcha, Ph.D. in Political Sciences.
In the article the current priorities of the strategic partnership between Ukraine and the United States of America in the field of security and defense are analysed within the context of a hybrid war conducted by the Russian Federation against Ukraine. The author focuses on the main provisions of U.S. security policy covered in the updated versions of strategic documents adopted in 2015, such as U.S. National Security Strategy and Military Security Strategy. A vision of the key areas in which the Ukrainian-American cooperation is to be developed in order to respond to the modern security challenges is outlined. A necessity of the strengthening of the strategic partnership instruments with the USA is underlined, taking into account the priority of the development of network security guarantees for Ukraine. Various aspects of the U.S. military assistance to Ukraine are presented. It is emphasized that U.S. assistance to support reforms in Ukraine’s security and defence sector has been significantly increased after the annexation of Crimea by Russia and following security crisis in the Eastern regions of Ukraine. Thus, some new content to fill in the framework of Ukrainian-American relations should be suggested, according to the author. These proposals may cover various areas of military and defence cooperation. The experience of widening the format of the bilateral U.S.-Ukrainian Coordination Commission into the Multinational Joint Commission is used as an illustration of the possible approach of establishing new security partnership networks as an effective tool for support of security and defence sector reform in Ukraine
Strategic USA–Ukraine Partnership, national security, hybrid warfare, defense capabilities
- MINISTERSTVO OBORONY UKRAINY (2015) Bila Knyha: Zbroini Syly Ukrainy 2014. 10th edition. Kyiv.
- Dvostoronnie spivrobitnytstvo Zbroinykh Syl Ukrainy. Informatsiinyi material Ministerstva oborony Ukrainy. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.mil.gov.ua/diyalnist/mizhnarodne-spivrobitnicztvo/suchasnij-stan-mizhnarodnogo-spivrobitnicztva-zbrojnih-sil-ukraini.html.
- DOROSH L. (2015) Novitnii priorytet spivpratsi Ukrainy ta SShA: soiuzni vidnosyny. In: Ukrainska natsionalna ideia: realii ta perspektyvy rozvytku. 27. pp. 95-101.
- NYCHYTAILO I.M. (2015) Aktualni pytannia zabezpechennia mizhnarodnoi bezpeky. Yurydychnyi naukovyi zhurnal. 2. pp. 264-267.
- PARAKHONSKYI B., YAVORSKA H. (2013) Stratehichne partnerstvo Ukrainy. Analitychna zapyska. Natsionalnyi instytut stratehichnykh doslidzhen. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.niss.gov.ua/articles/600.
- Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrainy № 287/2015 Pro rishennia Rady natsionalnoi bezpeky i oborony Ukrainy vid 6 travnia 2015 roku «Pro Stratehiiu natsionalnoi bezpeky Ukrainy» vid 26 travnia 2015 roku. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/287/2015.
- A Shift in the International Security Environment: Potential Implications for Defense. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R43838.pdf.
- (2014) Bill S. 2277 Russian Aggression Prevention Act of 2014. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/2277.
- (2014) Bill H.R. 5859 Ukraine Freedom Support Act of 2014. [Online]. Avaliable from:– Rezhym dostupu: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr5859.
- (2016) Bill H.R. 2029 Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2029/text.
- (2015) The National Military Security Strategy of the United States of America. The United States Military’s Contribution To National Security, June 2015. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Documents/Publications/2015_National_Military_Strategy.pdf.
- (2015) U.S. National Security Strategy. Washington, D.C.: White House. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2015_national_security_strategy.pdf.