Mariia Kravchenko, Postgraduate Student, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine.
Based on sources, considering findings of American researchers, the article provides a detailed analysis of the Employment Act of 1946 in the USA and defines its role in the development of American society. Actuality of the chosen research is due to the presence of opposing estimates of the Act among American historians, the lack of researches related to this subject in Ukrainian scientific area and the possibility to use American experience to reduce unemployment in Ukraine.
This article contains a critical review of the conditions and ideas, under which influence the Act was implemented. The author also considered arguments of the followers and opponents of employment regulation in the USA. Besides, not only the main provisions of the Employment Act of 1946 in the USA are analyzed in the article, but also its historical consequences for the development of American society are revealed.
As a result the author proposes her own view on the problem of evaluation of the Employment Act of 1946. Based on this view the author proves that the debate around the adoption of this Act and its compromise completion became the key to influence of the Employment Act of 1946 in the USA even nowadays.
the USA, the Employment Act of 1946, «full employment» idea
- KEJNS D.M. (2007) Obshhaja teorija zanjatosti, procenta i deneg. Izbrannoe. Moskva: JEKSMO.
- An Act to Declare a National Policy on Employment, Production, and Purchasing Power, and for Other Purposes of 1946. Public Law 304. 79th Congress. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/scribd/?title_id=1099&filepath=/docs/historical/congressional/employment-act-1946.pdf#scribd-open.
- BAILY S.K. (1950) Congress Makes A Law. New York. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.questia.com/read/3477081/congress-makes-a-law-the-story-behind-the-employment.
- BYRNES M.S. (2014) The Truman Years, 1945–1953. 2nd edition. London: Routledge.
- DELONG J.B. (1996) Keynesianism, Pennsylvania-Avenue Style: Some Economic Consequences of the 1946 Employment Act. Journal of Economic Perspectives. 10. pp. 41-53. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257.
- DONOVAN R.J. (1996) Conflict and Crisis: The Presidency of Harry S. Truman, 1945–1948. 2nd edition. Missouri: University of Missouri Press.
- Employment Situation Summary. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm.
- (1947) Final Report on the WPA Program 1935–1943. Washington: U. S. Government Printing Office.
- ROOF T. (2011) American Labor, Congress, and the Welfare State, 1935–2010. Baltimore: JHU Press. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://books.google.ru/books?id=sojdN0hrku0C&pg=PA1936&dq.
- ROOSEVELT F.D. (1944) State of the Union Message to Congress. – [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/address_text.html.
- SANTONI C.J. (1986) The Employment Act of 1946: Some History Notes. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review. 68. pp.5-16. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/review/86/11/Employment_Nov1986.pdf.
- SCIIAKFRATH S.S. (1947) The Employment Act of 1946. University of Illinois Bulletin. Vol.44. No.48. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://archive.org/stream/employmentactof111univ/employmentactof111univ_djvu.txt.
- SCITOVSZKY A. (1946) The Employment Act of 1946. Social Security Bulletin. pp.29-56. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v9n3/v9n3p25.pdf.
- TRUMAN H.S. (1946) Statement by the President Upon Signing the Employment Act. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=12584.
- WASEM E. (2013) Tackling Unemployment: The Legislative Dynamics of the Employment Act of 1946. Kalamazoo: W. E. Upjohn Institute.
- WEIR M., ORLOFF A.S., SKOCPOL T. (1988) The Politics of Social Policy in the United States. Princeton: Princeton University Press.