Olena Koppel, Doctor of History, Professor, Institute of International Relations, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine.
Argam Gasparian, Ph.D Student, Institute of International Relations, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine.
The paper examines the American factor in transformftion of the geopolitical structure of the Middle East region in the face of growing international instability and transformation of the system ofinternational relations. Attention is focused on the main grounds and practical moments in US policy in the Middle East region that somehow affect the configuration of forces at the regional level, which takes on a new complex and uncertain characteristics in the context of globalization. The article emphasizes the thesis that globalization is interpreted by Washington as the right to interfere in the internal affairs of the states in the region.
The publication analyzes the main trends of regional development and influence of Washington’s policy on the dynamic development of relations between Middle East states and the overall configuration of global and international forces in the region. The spatial idea of geopolitical changes in the region through the consolidation of existing state structures and integration processes is also analyzed.The fact, that the complexity and heterogeneity of the Middle East reflects instability of its geopolitical space, converting the zone “controlled chaos” (or “managed instability”)is noted. Resent trend to reduce US interest in the region, which increases the leadership ambitions of regional players and greater polarization and destabilization of the Middle East region is emphasized.
USA, Middle East, geopolitics, transformation
- DONILON T. (2013) National Security Advisor to the President At the Launch of Columbia Universitys Center on Global Energy Policy. The White House. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/04/24/remarks-tom-donilon-national-security-advisor-president-launch-columbia-
- BRZEZINSKI Z. (2012) Strategic Vision: America and the Crisis of Global Power. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://orientalreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Brzezinski-Zbigniew.-Strategic-Vision-America-and-the-Crisis-of-Global-Power.pdf
- (2015) National Security Strategy. Washington, D.C.: The White House. [Online]. Avaliable from:https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2015_national_security_strategy.pdf
- DERHACHEV V. Bolshoi Blyzhnyi Vostok. Ynstytut heopolytyky professora Derhacheva. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://dergachev.ru/Russian-encyclopaedia/02/64.html
- GÜNEY A., GÖKCAN F. (2010) The Greater Middle East as a Modern Geopolitical Imagination in American Foreign Policy. Geopolitics, 15. pp.22-38. [Online]. Avaliable from:http://www3.nccu.edu.tw/~lorenzo/Guney%20Middle%20East.pdf
- DOLGOV B. (2012) Arabskaja vesna: itogi i perspektivy. Perspektivy. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.perspektivy.info/oykumena/vostok/arabskaja_vesna_itogi_i_perspektivy_2012-04-19.htm
- CHAULIA S. (2010) Book review. Reconfiguring the Middle East. Reset: Iran, Turkey and Americas Future by Stephen Kinzer. Asia Times Online. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LL23Ak03.html
- LEVERETT F. American Grand Strategy in the Middle East. Yale MacMillan Center. [Online]. Avaliable from:http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/newsletter/leverett.html
- HAASS R.N. (2013) The Irony of American Strategy. Putting the Middle East in Proper Perspective. Council on Foreign Relations. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.cfr.org/middle-east-and-north-africa/irony-american-strategy/p30534