Iryna Gabro, Ph.D. in Political Science, Petro Mohyla Black Sea State University, Nikolaev, Ukraine.
In the article the influence of «think tanks» in the process of making foreign policy decisions 43rd US President George. W. Bush is analysed. The feature constructed by the US liberal democratic system is that the American foreign policy process consists of a number of well-known components. In fact, chosen foreign policy is always a «compromise» between the viewpoints and positions of the various elements of the system of decision-making, ethnic and economic lobby groups, party leaders installations, fundamental foreign policy reasons. Such kinde of the main «repeaters» influencing American foreign policy process are research centers.
The article proves that feature acceptance of foreign policy decisions the administration of George. W. Bush was that the president and his entourage were given a monopoly on brain activity only one analytical center – «Project New American Century». Representatives of the organization lobbied the concept of preventive strikes for over 10 years. In particular, in preparation for the presidential elections in 2000, the organization published a report «Rebuilding American Defense» (Rebuilding America’s Defenses), which became the basis of the national military strategy John. D. Bush and Rumsfeld. From their official submission to the doctrinal documents included the phrase «regime change». «Project New American century» the concept produced by Bush, which was to prevent the emergence of a global competitor US unipolarity is the preservation of the situation in the world. It is this «think tank» Bush told to recommendations of the report «Restructuring of American Defense». Based on the postulates of this report, unilateral policies of Washington led eventually to the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and invading Iran’s nuclear programme. But, leaders of «Project New American Century» claimed that their institution did not influence the decision to start the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. In general, the project was removed from the decision-making process even during the election campaign.
foreign policy, analytical center, «think tank», foreign policy strategy
- VOJTOVSKIJ F. (2012) «Proizvodstvo» intellektual’nogo prostranstva mirovoj politiki. Mezhdunarodnye processy. Vol. 10, No. 29(2). pp. 31-54.
- HVOZDKOV S.YU. (2015) Formuvannia kontseptualnykh zasad polityky administratsii Dzh. U. Busha shchodo derzhav postradianskoho prostoru. Hileia: naukovyi visnyk. 99. pp. 88-92.
- MIRZAJAN G.V. (2011) «Mozgovye centry» i process prinjatija reshenij v SShA. Rossija i Amerika v XXІ veke. 3. pp. 47-62.
- POHORSKA I. (2008) Neuriadovi orhanizatsii v zovnishnii politytsi SShA. Viche. 4. pp. 9-11.
- RZHEVSKA N. (2013) Sposoby priamoho vplyvu analitychnykh tsentriv SShA na subiektiv pryiniattia politychnykh rishen. Hileia: naukovyi visnyk. 76. pp. 243-247.
- CHESNOKOV S. (2007) Rol’ negosudarstvennyh “mozgovyh centrov” v processe prinjatija reshenij voenno-politicheskim rukovodstvom SShA v oblasti oborony i bezopasnosti. Zarubezhnoe voennoe obozrenie. 5. pp. 2-6.
- BRZEZINSKI Z. (1997) A Geostrategy for Eurasia. Foreign Affairs, September/October 1997. –[Online]. Avaliable from: https:// www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/asia/1997–09–01/geostrategy–eurasia.
- (1992) Defense planning Guidanсe, FY 1994–1999 (draft). [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/ nukevault/ebb245/doc03_full.pdf.
- HAAS R. (2002) Think Tanks and U.S. Foreign Policy: A Policy – Makers Perspective. U.S. Department of States [Online]. Avaliable from: https://2001-2009.state.gov/s/p/rem/15506.htm.
- MCGANN J. (2002) Think Tanks and Transnationalization of Foreign Policy. US Foreign Policy Agenda. Vol. 7. No.3.
- (2008) «Prevent the Reemergence of a New Rival». The Making of the Cheney Regional Defense Strategy, 1991–1992. The National Security Archive [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/ebb245.
- DONNELY T., KAGAN D., SCHMITT G. (2000) Rebuilding America’s Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources For a New Century. A Report of The Project for the New American Century. [Online]. Avaliable from: http:// www.informationclearinghouse.info/pdf/RebuildingAmericasDefenses. pdf.
- (1997) Statement of Principles. The Project for the New American Century [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.rightweb.irc–online.org/images/uploads/PNAC_Statement_ of_Principles.pdf