Ph. D. student (History), Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. The article deals with the relations between the United States of America, Great Britain and Ukraine. The major task of this study is to provide an analysis of the tripartite partnership between the states and to find out the place of Ukraine in the «special relations». The chronological boundaries of the article are determined by the presidential term of the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump.
Methodology of the article: historical-political and historical-comparative methods are used to determine changes in relations in the Washington-Kyiv-London triangle. The analysis method was applied to assess the place of Ukraine in the «special relations» of the United States and Great Britain. The article’s scientific novelty is rethinking Ukraine’s place in the «special relations» between the United States and Great Britain.
Conclusions. It is especially noted that the United States of America and the United Kingdom began to develop relations with Ukraine during 2017–2022 intensively. It was caused by the geopolitical situation in Eastern Europe. The annexation of Crimea, the invasion of the Russian army in Ukraine and the Russian government’s support of separatists in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions made Ukraine a center of the US and the UK foreign policy. This investigation proves that the role of Ukraine in «special relations» has strengthened. In fact, the state has turned into a strategic ally of the United States and Great Britain in the region. The main reason for such changes was the desire of London and Washington to have a strong and stable ally in Eastern Europe in opposition to Moscow.
The United States and Great Britain failed to respond in time to Russian military aggression in Ukraine and did not fulfill their obligations presented in the Budapest Memorandum. The re-awareness of the importance of Ukraine on the geopolitical map of the world by the British-American elite prompted the establishment of a strategic partnership in the period of 2017–2021.
Key words: USA, Great Britain, Ukraine, «special relations», Ukrainian-British relations, Ukrainian-American relations.
- Gissa-Ivanovych, & Kybich, Y. (2020). Brexit: consequences and prospects (in the context of building new relations between Britain and Ukraine). EU. Media forum: analytics, forecasts, information management, 8, 47–61. [In Ukrainian].
- Hrubinko, (2018). Great Britain’s participation in the process of formation and development of the common foreign and security policy of the European Union. (Doctor’s habil in history thesis). National university of Uzhhorod. Kyiv. [In Ukrainian].
- Zhyhailo, (2019). The Ukrainian vector of US foreign policy under Donald Trump. European political and law discourse, 6, 21. [In Ukrainian].
- Radio Liberty. (2017, June20). Poroshenko’s meeting with Trump is now a triumph of Ukrainian diplomacy. https://bit.ly/3tKmGIS. [In Ukrainian].
- Radio Liberty. (2017, September26). Poroshenko met with Trump during his visit to the UN General Assembly. https://bit.ly/3tKmGIS. [In Ukrainian].
- Smyrnova,, Berezovska, I. (2020, December 8). The agreement with Great Britain is the way to a strategic partnership and deeper trade. Law magazine. https://bit.ly/3Gouzeu. [In Ukrainian].
- Sokolova, (2017). British-Ukrainian relations: evolution and prospects. Evropsky politicky a pravni diskerz, 6, 45–52. [In Ukrainian].
- Solodkii,, Beleskov, M. (2017). Audit of foreign policy: Ukraine – Great Britain. Institute of World Politics, 8–50. https://bit.ly/3EDlmxM. [In Ukrainian].
- Radio Liberty. (2018, November24). British army chief says Russia poses far great threat than IS. https://bit.ly/3Q9Mvek. [In English].
- Atlantic Council. (2021, June25). British warship challenges Russian claims to Crimea. https://bit.ly/3tZQbFT. [In English].
- Brzezinski, Z. (1996) Ukraine’s Critical Role in the Post-Soviet Space. Harvard Ukrainian Studies, 20,3–8. [In English].
- Forreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. (2020, November9). Continuing the United kingdom’s Trade Relationship with Ukraine https://bit.ly/3UeHEvq. [In English].
- Countering Russian Influence in Europe and Eurasia Act of 2017. (2017). Library of Congress. https://bit.ly/3nOxOmm. [In English].
- Crimea declaration. (2018, July25). S. Emassy in Ukraine. https://cnb.cx/3hW49GW. [In English].
- Foreign Secretary condemns Russian aggression in the Sea of Azov. (2018, November26). Government of the United Kingdom. Official website. https://bit.ly/3EPd85L. [In English].
- Garton Ash, T. (2004, November25). Freedom’s frontline. The Guardian. https://bit.ly/3Tgg2Wj. [In English].
- Hrubinko, A. (2020). Ukraine in the foreign pоlicy of the United Kingdom in the context of European integration (1991–2019). East European Historical Bulletin, 14, 153–164. https://bit.ly/3QTJdMI. [In English].
- Kustowska, J. (2021). Russia-United Kingdom relations after year 2018. Condiction and predictions. Research Gate. https://bit.ly/3wSeqsa. [In English].
- Miller, C. (2016, December 1). S. – Russian Relations in the next Presidency. The German Marshall Fund of the United States. https://bit.ly/3AnCSTw. [In English].
- National Security Strategy of the United States of America. (2017, December 18). The White House. https://bit.ly/3tL4Cyb. [In English].
- Nord Stream2 more opponents. (2018, March 19). Warsawe Institute. https://bit.ly/3OnaYgO. [In English].
- Operation ORBITAL explained: Training Ukrainian Armed Forces. (2020, December 21). Medium. https://bit.ly/3AZhrcF. [In English].
- PM meeting with President Zelenskyy. (2020, October 8). Government of the United Kingdom. Official website. https://bit.ly/3gqWEaI. [In English].
- PM statement on President Putin’s actions on Crimea. (2014, March 18). Government of the United Kingdom. Official website. https://bit.ly/3UT0WXg. [In English].
- Pompeo: U.S. will do what it can to ensure Nord Stream 2 pipeline does not threaten Europe. (2020, July 30). https://reut.rs/3Xj1siT. [In English].
- President about negotiations with UK Prime Minister: Expanding security cooperation, cooperation in judicial reform and introduction of financial investigation service. (2017, April 19). Embassy of Ukraine in the United Kingdom of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland. https://bit.ly/3AEO6Df. [In English].
- Secretary of State Pompeo says U.S. rejects Russia’s attempted annexation of Crimea. (2018, July 25). Consumer News and Business Channel. https://cnb.cx/3V7srfC. [In English].
- Senators ask Trump to engage with Ukraine before meeting with Vladimir Putin. (2017, May 12). The Ukrainian weekly. https://bit.ly/3cnUV3K. [In English].
- Thatcher, М. (1990, June 9). Speech to Ukrainian Supreme Soviet. Margareth Thatcher Foundation. https://bit.ly/3ThYA3S. [In English].
- Fox news. (2016, September 21). Trump blames Obama for allowing Russian annexation of Crimea. https://bit.ly/3hPVy5x. [In English].
- S. Department of State. (2022, November 10). U.S. Security Cooperation with Ukraine. https://bit.ly/3hXbtSB. [In English].
- UK and Ukraine sign Political, Free and Strategic Partnehship Agreement. (2020, October 8). Government of the United Kingdom. Official website. https://bit.ly/3AKyopY. [In English].
- Ukraine government priority action plan to 2020. (2017, July 5). Government of the United Kingdom. Official website. https://bit.ly/3AEfUaQ. [In English].
- Weaver, John (2018). The 2017 National Security Strategy of the United States. Journal of Strategic Security, 11. https://bit.ly/3wXqh8H. [In English].