Vadym Danylets, Post Graduate Student, State Organization “The Institute of the World History”, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
The article attempts to analyze the American strategy for maintaining the status quo in the global energy supply system, as well as to reveal the main causes of the destruction of this system.
At this stage, there is a sharp increase in the interdependence of politics and energetics as well as their merger. Therefore, one of the main messages of the article is the thesis that oil and related issues were at the center of the US Middle East foreign policy. It was determined that the main components of the US strategy were maintaining access to oil resources in the Middle East and strengthening their positions in the region, which was stipulated by the factor of intersystem confrontation. The doctrinal foundations of the American oil strategy in the region were determined. The evolution of political processes in the Middle East, which led to the destruction of the foundations of the global energy supply system, was examined.
It is shown how dynamic changes in international politics and the world economy influenced the transformation of American politics in the Middle East with elements of balancing between the countries of the region, for which oil and energetics, in general, have become the main factor in foreign policy. It was the study of political and economic processes in their dynamics that allowed the author to highlight critical moments in international politics and economics.
Important place in the article is devoted to the activities of American oil companies, their economic relations with the governments of the Middle East countries, which became the subject of political confrontation between these countries and the U.S.
Based on the given facts, it was established that the US policy to maintain the status quo in the Middle East had been actually stopped in the early 1970s. Instead, it was not formed the clear long term course of foreign policy, which could provide the interests of the USA and its allies in the field of economics and energetics.
Keywords: USA, Middle East, foreign policy strategy, energetics, oil.
- Rumyantsev, V. P. (2009). Neftyanoy faktor v blizhnevostochnoy politike SSHA – 1957–1959 gg. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 322, 101 – 106.
- Skorokhodova, O. N. (2015). Rol’ neftyanogo faktora v mezhdunarodnykh otnosheniyakh (1973 – 1986 gg.). PhD diss. Moscow: MGU imeni. M. Lomonosova.
- Beaver, B., Beaver, J., Winsley, M. (1999). The Middle East: United States Policy and Relations in the Latter Half of the 20th Century. War & Peace. Retrieved from: https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/war_peace/middleeast/hcentury.html
- Yergin, D. (1999). Vsemirnaya istoriya bor’by za neft’, den’gi i vlast’. Moscow: DeNovo.
- Eden, R. J. (1981). Energy economics: growth, resources and policies. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Kocheshkov, A. A. (2009). Neft’ i okhlazhdeniye sovetsko-iranskikh otnosheniy na rannem etape «kholodnoy voyny» 40 – 50 godov XX veka. Vestnik Rossiyskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Vseobshchaya istoriya, 3, 63 – 79.
- Urazov, A. M. (2007). Anglo-amerikanskaya politika bezopasnosti na Blizhnem Vostoke v 1951 – 55 gg. Moscow: MGU. Retrieved from https://lomonosov-msu.ru/archive/Lomonosov_2007/12/WH/Urazov.pdf
- Loran, (2010). Neftyanyye magnaty: kto delayet mirovuyu politiku. Moscow: Algoritm.
- Cohen, M. (2004). Strategy and Politics in the Middle East, 1954-1960: Defending the Northern Tier. London: Routledge.
- Marcus, U. (2014). Oil and Gas: The Business and Politics of Energy. Red Globe Press. Retrieved from: https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=N5u7BgAAQBAJ&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Reid, B. H. (1988). “The northern tier” and the Baghdad pact. Young, J. W. (Ed). Leicester: Leicester University Press.
- Memorandum from David R. Young of the National Security Council Staff to the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Kissinger). (1970, January 14). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969–1976, Volume XXXVI, 1969–1974. Doc. 38.
- Action Memorandum from the assistant secretary of State for economic affairs (Solomon) to the Under Secretary of state for political affairs (Rostow). (1967, December 11). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1964–1968. Volume XXII, Iran. Doc.252.
- Letter from the president’s consultant (Anderson) to the president. (1957, August 9). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1955–1957. X. Foreign Aid and Economic Defense Policy. Doc. 275.
- Multinational oil corporations and U.S. foreign policy: report together with individual views to the Committee on Foreign Relations, United States Senate by the Subcommittee on Multinational Corporations. (1975). Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off. Retrieved from: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951t00205914p&view=1up&seq=1
- Multinational corporations and United States foreign policy: hearings before the Subcommittee on Multinational Corporations of the Committee on Foreign Relations, United States Senate, Ninety-third Congress, second session. (1974). Part 6. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off. Retrieved from: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31210001357688&view=1up&seq=353
- The Libyan oil industry: Dependence on foreign companies. (1986). Directorate of Intelligence. Retrieved from: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP97R00694R000500580001-2.pdf
- Economic implications of Soviet-Iranian Agreements involving oil and gas. (1967). Directorate of Intelligence. Retrieved from: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000381440.pdf
- Telegram from the Embassy in Libya to the Department of state. (1970, December 5). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969–1976. XXXVI, 1969 – 1974. Doc. 64.
- Memorandum from President Nixon to Secretary of Labor Shultz. (1969, March 25). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969–1976, XXXVI, 1969–1974. Doc. 2.
- Telegram from the Mission to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development to the Department of state. (1970, May 28). Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969–1976, Volume XXXVI, 1969–1974. Doc. 46.
- Mearns, E. (2007, March 7). Annual oil production for Saudi Arabia. The Oil Drum. Retrieved from: http://theoildrum.com/node/2330
- Bandung Conference (Asian-African Conference), 1955. (n. d.) Milestones in the History of U.S. Foreign Relations, 1953–1960: Entrenchment of a Bi-Polar Foreign Policy. Retrieved from: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1953-1960/bandung-conf
- The Eisenhower Doctrine, 1957. (n. d.) Milestones in the History of U.S. Foreign Relations, 1953 – 1960: Entrenchment of a Bi-Polar Foreign Policy. Retrieved from: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1953-1960/eisenhower-doctrine