Olexander Shevchuk, Ph.D. in Political Science, Professor, Dean of the Political Science Department of Petro Mohyla Black Sea State University, Mykolaiv, Ukraine.
This article deals with the foreign policy strategy of the USA during the presidency of Barack Obama. The basic determinants of US foreign policy and its impact on structuring of American foreign policy strategic vectors are analyzed. Attention is focused on the strategic documents of B. Obama’s administration in the sphere of foreign policy and its practical implementation.
Analysis of strategic documents for the US presidency Barack Obama’s foreign policy certifies the next. Firstly, the implementation of the US external course strategic guidelines is aimed at bringing Washington’s strategy in line with political realities of modern world and financial economic capabilities of the state. Secondly, military force remains an indispensable tool of US foreign policy and a key means of achieving US foreign policy objectives in terms of active combat with terrorist threats. Thirdly, the need for confrontation with the latest undemocratic political regimes transformed the policy of containment, which limit in a variety of ways (military operations, sanctions mechanisms, etc.) is a violation of democratic norms and values by the power of the State or the annexation of the territory of independent states. Fourthly, the implementation of the military doctrines of Obama’s administration shows that modern Armed Forces and the Navy are the foundation of US policy outside the continent and the cornerstone of the practical implementation of the US global aspirations on the world stage.
Key words: USA, foreign policy strategy, national security threats, globalization.
- National Security Strategy of the United States. Washington, May 2010.
- Sustaining US Global Leadership: Priorities for 21 Century Defense. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.defense.gov/news/Defense_Strategic_Guidance.pdf.
- NYE J.S. jr.(2010) The Future of American Power. Dominance and Decline in Perspective. Foreign Affairs. Vol.89. 6. pp. 6-12.
- Remarks by President Obama to the United Nations General Assembly. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/09/28/remarks-president-obama-united-nations-general-assembly.
- NYE J.S. jr. Which Way for US Foreign Policy? [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/three-questions-for-us-foreign-policy-by-joseph-s–nye-2015-10?barrier=true.
- President Obama’s 2016 State of the Union Address. [Online]. Avaliable from: https://medium.com/@WhiteHouse/president-obama-s-2016-state-of-the-union-address-7c06300f9726№.7phcccwwm.
- US-Russian marines set up bridgehead in E. Libya for campaign against ISIS. [Online]. Avaliable from: http://www.debka.com/article/25183/US-Russian-marines-set-up-bridgehead-in-E-Libya-for-campaign-against-ISIS.
- Obama sprostovuie dani Fox News:SShA ne planuiut sukhoputnu operatsiiu v Livii. [Електронний ресурс]. – Pежим доступу: http://www.newsru.ua/world/26mar2011/neplanujut.html.