Olexander Shevchuk, Dr. habil. (Political Science), Professor, Dean of the Political Science Department of Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University, Mykolaiv
The article analyses the possible ways of transformation in US foreign policy during D. Trump’s presidency. For now, the foreign policy doctrine of the new republican administration has not been yet established. Given the operational actions of administration, one can underline the following surveys and limits of their implementation in foreign policy strategy: 1. Confrontation with Islamic terrorism, in particular with the Islamic State and international terrorism in all its forms and actions. 2. Relations with People’s Republic of China. The actions taken by the official Beijing in the sphere of economy have been criticized by the newly elected president even during his election campaign. One of the key determinants in Sino-American relations is position of the USA towards China in the regulation of the North Korean issue. 3. The informative fulfillment of relations with the European allies. In his speech during Brussels Summit of NATO (25-26 May 2017), Donald Trump declared that NATO members shall increase their defense costs to 2 % GDP, while now only five of 28 Alliance members accomplish that requirement. However, the USA repeatedly speak out against planned agreement about free trade between the USA and the EU – the Transatlantic trade and investment partnership. 4. The evolution of relations between Moscow and Washington. «Hot spots» of American-Russian relations are problems of Syria, Ukrainian issue, Russian position towards sanctions towards North Korea.
foreign policy strategy, principles of foreign policy, international terrorism, nuclear weapons program of DPRK, American-Russian relations.
1.REMARKS OF PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP. AS PREPARED FOR DELIVERY. INAUGURAL ADDRESS (2017) The White House Washington, D.C. [Online] Available from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/inaugural-address [Accessed: 3st September 2017].
2. AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY (2017) The White House Washington, D.C. [Online] Available from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/america-first-foreign-policy [Accessed: 1st October 2017].
3. LANDLER M., FORSYTHE М. (2017) Trump Tells Xi Jinping U.S. Will Honor «One China». Policy The New York Time. 2nd September. [Online] Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/world/asia/donald-trump-china-xi-jinping-letter.html [Accessed: 18th September 2017].
4. OFYCYALʹNYJ PREDSTAVYTELʹ MYD KNR HÈN SHUAN OTVETYL NA VOPROS SMY PO POVODU TELEFONNOHO RAZHOVORA MEZHDU NOVOYZBRANNYM PREZYDENTOM SSHA D. TRAMPOM Y HLAVOJ ADMYNYSTRACYY TAJVANJA CAJ YNVÈNʹ (2016) Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the People’s Republic of China. 12 March. [Online] Available from: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/rus/xwfw/fyrth/fyrbthdhdw/t1421265.shtml [Accessed: 25th September 2017].
5. BOHAN, C., BRUNNSTROM, D. (2016) Trump says U.S. not necessarily bound by «one China» policy. Reuters. [Online] Available from: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trumpchina/trump-says-u-s-not-necessarily-bound-by-one-china-policy-idUSKBN1400TY [Accessed: 6th September 2017].
6. BRUNNSTROM, D., SPETALNICK, M. (2017) Tillerson says China should be barred from South China Sea Islands . Reuters. [Online] Available from: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-congresstillerson-china-idUSKBN14V2KZ [Accessed: 10th October 2017].
7. TRUMP ABANDONS TRANS-PACIFIC PARTNERSHIP, OBAMA’S SIGNATURE TRADE DEAL (2017) The New York Times. [Online] Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/us/politics/tpp-trump-trade-nafta.html [Accessed: 17th October 2017].
8. PERLEZ, J., ROSENBERG, M. (2016) China Agrees to Return Seized Drone, Ending Standoff, Pentagon Says. The New York Times. [Online] Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/world/asia/china-us-drone.html?_r=0 [Accessed: 17th October 2017].
9. TRUMP, D. (2017) Without Twitter, I would not be here. FT interview. [Online] Available from: https://www.ft.com/content/943e322a-178a-11e7-9c35-0dd2cb31823a [Accessed: 25th October 2017].
10. SŠA Y KYTAJ NAZVALY VSTREČU TRAMPA Y SY CZYNʹPYNA POLEZNOJ (2017) Interfax. [Online] Available from: http://www.interfax.ru/world/557462 [Accessed: 17th September 2017].
11. DIAMOND, J. (2017) Trump scolds NATO allies over defense spending. CNN. [Online] Available from: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/25/politics/trump-nato-financial-payments/index.html [Accessed: 26th October 2017].
12. FULL TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW WITH DONALD TRUMP (2017) The Times. [Online] Available from: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/full-transcript-of-interview-with-donaldtrump-5d39sr09d [Accessed: 26th October 2017].
13. RELATIONS BETWEEN AMERICA AND RUSSIA ARE AT A LOW POINT (2017) The Economist. [Online] Available from: https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2017/04/sober-moscow [Accessed: 29th October 2017].
14. PRYJOM TILLERSONA U MOSKVI CʹOHO TYŽNJA BUV ZOVSIM NE TEPLYM (2017) ZN. [Online] Available from: https://dt.ua/WORLD/plani-trampa-schodo-vidnosin-z-rosiyeyuzlamalisya-shvidshe-nizh-u-poperednikiv-the-economist-239717_.html [Accessed: 16th September 2017].
15. TKACHENKO, V. (2017) SŠA vs Rosija: Novyj počatok čy prodovžennja staryx rozbižnostej? Ukrinform. [Online] Available from: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-world/2309202-ssavs-rosia-novij-pocatok-ci-prodovzenna-starih-rozbiznostej.html [Accessed: 16th October 2017].
16. ROGIN, J. (2017) Trump’s foreign policy doctrine: Escalate to de-escalate. Washington Post. [Online] Available from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trumps-foreignpolicy-doctrine-escalate-to-de-escalate/2017/03/19/8cb897e0-0b35-11e7-a15fa58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.859626631d82 [Accessed: 26th October 2017].