USA – UNESCO: THE EVOLUTION OF RELATIONSHIPS
Ph.D. (History), Associate Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. The author studies the evolution of relationship between the United States and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. It is actual problem in international relation. The history of their communication has gone from active cooperation to disputes. The main achievements in the cooperation between the USA and UNESCO are determined. Author studies the criticism of UNESCO’s activities by the United States. The aim of the article is to analyze the relationship between the United States and UNESCO since the founding of UNESCO to the present. The scientific novelty is first attempt to analyze the history of cooperation between the United States and UNESCO in the context of the evolution of their relations, which include achievements and fails, active participation in the Organization and criticism of UNESCO policy by the United States. The methodological basis of the article is based on the different methodological principles, such as the principle of historicism, systematic. The author used a historical-comparative method to understand changes in relations between the U.S. and the Organization. Special attention was given to the statistical method, which gave information about the number of cultural and natural sites on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Conclusions. Сommunication between the United States and UNESCO has its own page in history, which includes relations since the country participation in the founding of the Organization, ratification of its main conventions, participation in different projects, events, withdrawal by the United States from UNESCO in the 1980s and the return in 2003 to UNESCO, disagreement of the financial policy of the Organization, to criticism of the admission of Palestine to UNESCO, the non-payment of contributions to the budget and the final withdrawal from UNESCO on 31 December 2018.
Key words: USA, UNESCO, relationships, conventions, director-general.
- Banti, R. (2018). The problems of entering USA from UNESCO like reaction to anti-israeli policy of the organization (in the brief review). American history and politics, 5, 102–114. [Іn Russian].
- Hrushova, A. T. (2004). Ensuring the rights of the child is a priority of UNESCO. Actual problems of international relations, 2 (50), 18–20. [In Ukrainian].
- Dem’yanyuk, O. P. (2001). Humanitarian means. UNESCO is a two-way highway. Politics and time, 11, 70–77. [In Ukrainian].
- Katkova, T. H. (2007). UNESCO’s activity in the field of cultural heritage preservation: legal aspects. Kharkiv: Tytul. [In Ukrainian].
- Maksymov, V. V. (1997). The Legal Protection of the Cultural Property in the UNESCO Conventions. Abstract of unpublished thesis (PhD in Juridical Sciences, V. M.Koretsky Institute of State and Law of the National Academy of Science of Ukraine. [In Ukrainian].
- Melnychuk, O. I. (2005). International legal principles of formation of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage List. University scientific notes, 4, 285–288.
- Bruz, V. S. (ed.). (1995). UN specialized agencies. Kyiv: Lybid. [In Ukrainian].
- Constitution of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_014#Text. [In Ukrainian].
- UNESCO voted for joining Palestine. (2011, October 31). BBC News. http://surl.li/cgovw. [In Ukrainian].
- About UNESCO Office in New York. UNESCO. https://en.unesco.org/fieldoffice/newyork/about. [In English].
- Irina Bokova regrets loss of US voting rights. (2011). UNESCO. http://surl.li/cgoww. [In English].
- List of World Heritage in Danger. UNESCO World Heritage Centre. https://whc.unesco.org/en/danger/. [In English].
- Member States List [Electronic Resource] // UNESCO. https://en.unesco.org/countries. [In English].
- Statement by Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO, on the occasion of the Withdrawal by the United States of America from UNESCO. (2017, October 12). UNESCO. http://surl.li/cgowd. [In English].
- UNESCO’s former Directors-General. UNESCO. http://surl.li/cixrr. [In English].
- United States of America. UNESCO. https://en.unesco.org/countries/united-states-america. [In English].
- United States Secretary of State, John Kerry, at UNESCO reaffirms U.S. commitment to the Organization. (2015, October 18). UNESCO. http://surl.li/cgowj. [In English].
- Welcome to the UNESCO House. Art and Architecture. UNESCO. https://en.unesco.org/about-us/unesco-house. [In English].