Nataliya Gorodnia, Doc. Sc. (History), Professor, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv
The paper studies major concepts of globalization and focuses on its impact on the U.S. and vice versa. A concept of globalization as an American project to strengthen its global influences is noticeable in the academic discourse on globalization. However, a negative impact of globalization on the U.S. was one of the leading themes of D.Trump’s election campaign, and his actions as a President prove his intentions to implement at least a part of his election pledges. Globalization is viewed by scholars as a concept of global changes, mostly as process and an epoque we live in. There exists no consensus among them about the time when globalization as a process had started. Most often the scholars suggest that it has begun in th late 20th century, middle or late 19th century or earlier. The 16th century, though globalization is also considered as an earlier phenomenon of the world history. The scholars define several periods or waves of globalization with different major characteristics that determined separate historic epoques. These waves occurred with various dynamics in economic, political, social and cultural spheres, and in different parts of the world.
Obtaining major advantages and profits from globalization by the most powerful state, and vice versa, its transformation into the mightiest state due to the most effective implementation of opportunities that globalization provided, was a leading trend of the global development throughout history. In the 20th century, it was the United States. D. Trump’s acknowledging the globalization’s negative impact on the U.S. reveals that its global leading position in the second decade of the 21st century has diminished.
globalization, the United States, study of globalization, major concepts of globalization, D. Trump’s administration
1. SOLIS, M. (2017) Trump Withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership [Online]. Available from: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/unpacked/2017/03/24/trump-withdrawing-from-the-trans-pacific-partnership [Accessed: 11th August 2017]
2. CHAKRABORTY, B. (2017) Paris Agreement on Climate Change: US Withdraws as Trump Calls it ‘Unfair’ [Online]. Available from: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/01/trump-u-s-to-withdraw-from-paris-climate-pact-calls-it-unfair-for-america.html [Accessed: 10th August 2017]
3. CHANDER, A. (2017) What the Trump Administration’s NAFTA Priorities Get Right (and Wrong) About Digital Trade [Online]. Available from: https://www.cfr.org/report/what-trump-administrations-nafta-priorities-get-right-and-wrong-about-digital-trade [Accessed: 21th August 2017]
4. MASON, J., SOLIS, M. (2017) Globalization on the Cheap: Why the U.S. Lost its Way on Trade [Online]. Available from: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2017/08/28/globalization-on-the-cheap-why-the-u-s-lost-its-way-on-trade/ utm_campaign=Foreign%20Policy&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=56126662 [Accessed: 16th September 2017]
5. FELBAB-BROWN, V. (2017) The Wall: the Real Costs of a Barrier between the United States and Mexico [Online]. Available from: https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the-wall-the-real-costs-of-a-barrier-between-the-united-states-and-mexico [Accessed: 17th September 2017]
6. DOLLAR, D. et al. (2017) An Assessment of Trump’s First 100 days of Foreign Policy, from Brookings experts [Online]. Available from: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2017/04/28/an-assessment-of-trumps-first-100-days-of-foreign-policy-from-brookings-experts [Accessed: 11th August 2017]
7. LACHMAN, D. (2017) Trump Ignores the Global Economy at his Peril [Online]. Available
from: http://www.aei.org/publication/trump-ignores-the-global-economy-at-his-peril [Accessed: 9th
8. CHANDY, L., SEIDEL B. (2016) Donald Trump and the Future of Globalization [Online]. Available from: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2016/11/18/donald-trump-and-the-future-of-globalization [Accessed: 2nd August 2017]
9. HELD D., McGREW Е. (2004). Globalizatsia/Anti-globalitsia. Кyiv: К.І.С.
10. CHTATOU, MOHAMED (2017) Is Globalization a Postmodern Form of Imperialism [Online]. Available from: http://www.eurasiareview.com/26032017-s-globalization-a-postmodern-form-of-imperialism-analysis [Accessed: 31 August 2017]
11. LITONJUA, M. D. (2008) The Socio-Political Construction of Globalization. International Review of Modern Sociology. 34(2), p. 253-278.
12. Globalization – Origin of the Word (2010) [Online]. Available from: http://www.mrglobalization.com/globalisation/252-globalization–origin-of-the-word [Accessed: 30 August 2017]
13. WALLERSTEIN I. (1974) The Modern World-System: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century. New York: Academic Press.
14. World Polity Theory (Synopsis and Analysis) [Online]. Available from: http://sociology.emory.edu/faculty/globalization/theories02.html [Accessed: 30 August 2017]
15. LEVITT, T. (1983) The Globalization of Markets. Harvard Business Review, May-June [Online]. Available from: http://www.lapres.net/levit.pdf [Accessed: 20 August 2017]
16. ROBERTSON, R. (1992). Globalization: Social Theory and Global Culture. London: Sage Publications.
17. ROBERTSON, R. (1995) Glocalization: Time-Space and Homogeneity-Heterogeneity In M. Featherstone, S. Lash, and R. Robertson (eds.). Global Modernities. London: Sage, P. 25-44.
18. GONCHAR, B.M. (2014) Globalizatsia. Іstoriya u terminah i poniattiah. Vyshgorod: Sergyichuk M.I., P.121-122.
19. BAUMAN, Z. (2008) Globalizatsia. Naslidky dlia luidyny i syspilstva. Кyiv: vydavnycyi dim «Кyyevo-Moghulianska akademia.
20. KHARAS, H., MCARTHUR, J. (2016) Can Globalization be Rescued from itself? The Globa Goals as a Path to Sustainability [Online]. Available from: https://www.brookings.edu/research/can-globalization-be-rescued-from-itself [Accessed: 20 August 2017]
21. KLIESEN, K.L. (2008) Crossing Borders. The Globalization Debates [Online]. Available from: https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/inside-the-vault/spring-2008/crossing-borders-the- globalization-debate [Accessed: 30 August 2017]
22. ARNANDER, C. (2005). Think Globally, Spend Locally. The Illustrated History of Globalization. London: Profile books.
23. BILORUS О., VLASOV V. (2010) Globalistyka – nova syntetychta nauka. Visnyk NAN Ukrainy. 3, p.17-26.
24. SCHEUERMAN, W. (2014) Globalization. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy [Online]. Available from: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/globalization [Accessed: 30 August 2017]
25. TIGNOR, R. et al. (2011). Worlds Together, Worlds Apart. A History of the World. Vol. C. New York, London, W.W.Norton.
26. FRIEDMAN, ТHОMAS L. (1999) Leksus i olyvkove derevo. Zrozymity globalizatsiyu [Online]. Available from: http://www.ji.lviv.ua/ji library/friedman/friedman-zmist.htm [Accessed: 03 August 2017].
27. ZAKARIA, F. (2008) Postamerikanskiy mir. Moskva: Evropa.