Vоlоdymyr Fisanov, Doctor of sciences in History, Professor, Yuriу Fedkovich Chernivtsi National University, Chernivtsi, Ukraine.
The goal of the article is to analyze certain aspects of Canada’s immigration policy in the context of contemporary realities, considering the concept of multiculturalism. In the paper, there are outlined the main stages of Canadian immigration policy and its impact on the politics of multiculturalism. The author emphasizes that the policy of multiculturalism, proclaimed by the Government of Canada in its modern interpretation in the late 1980s, has transformed in the first decades of the 21st century. It was caused by such factors as the rise of terrorist attacks, illegal migration and the widening of migration from South-East Asia. It was shown that Canadian immigration policy evolved to more open and liberal since the end of World War II, but at the beginning of the 21st century, the situation radically changed. This trend was especially noticeable during the activities of the conservative governments of S. Harper (2006-2015). Conservative government policy was marked by the introduction of restrictive immigration laws and the extension of bureaucratic procedures. In particular, some provisions of the «Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act» of June 19, 2014, were analyzed. It was emphasized that this legal action had been crushed by the Bar Association of Canada, as well as in the Open Letter of 60 well-known scholars and community members to the Prime Minister of Canada. Another trend of last developments in Canadian multicultural society was influenced by American negative attitudes towards Muslims.
Today, the Government of Canada must review and substantially add a policy of multiculturalism. However, it should not become a hostage to the political struggle between liberals and conservatives in the contemporary difficult realities. The escalation of feelings of danger and intolerance, based on the dialectical thе «еnemy-friend» opposition, no longer works in a society. But people are looking for effective democratic dialogue in order to normalize relationships in the multicolored society of the early 21st century.
Key words: immigration policy, multiculturalism, Conservative Government of S. Harper, liberal model of multiculturalism, Canada.
- Burtseva, M. (2019). OsoblyvostirozvytkuimmihratsiynoyipolitykyKanadyu2006-2012 rr. EMINAK: naukovyy shchokvartalʹnyk, Vol. 3., 2 (26), 149-159. Retrieved from: https://eminak.net.ua/index.php/eminak/article/view/301
- Karlova, V. (2011). Mulʹtykulʹturalizm yak polityko-ideolohichna doktryna: problemy ta vyklyky. Zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ Natsionalʹnoyi akademiyi derzhavnoho upravlinnya pry Prezydentovi Ukrayiny, 1, 209-220. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/znpnadu_2011_1_23.
- Kymlichka, V. (2001) Liberalizm i prava menshyn.Kharkiv: Tsentr osvitnikh initsiatyv.
- Cherednyk N., Cherednyk Yu. (2009). Movna polityka yak skladova polityky mulʹtykulʹturalizmu v Kanadi.Derzhavne upravlinnya ta mistseve samovryaduvannya. Zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ. 2, 28-35. Retrieved from: http://www.dridu.dp.ua/vidavnictvo/2009/2009-02(2)/Cherednik.pdf
- 2019 Electoral P Canadian identity: ending official multiculturalism and preserving Canadian values and culture. People’s Party of Canada, official website. Retrieved from: https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/canadian_identity_ending_official_multiculturalism_and_preserving_canadian_values_and_culture
- Angus, I.H. (1988). Displacement and Otherness: Toward a Post-Modern Ethics. Ethnicity in a Technological age. Edmonton: University of Alberta, 107-128.
- Constitution Act, 1982. Justice Laws Website. Retrieved from: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html
- Edmonston, B. (2016). Canada’s immigration trends and patterns.Canadian Studies in Population. 1-2, 78-116. Retrieved from: https://journals.library.ualberta.ca/csp/index.php/csp/article/view/25395
- Gulliver, T. (2011). Banal Nationalism in ESL Textbooks. Canadian Journal of Education. 3, 119-135. Retrieved from: http://journals.sfu.ca/cje/index.php/cje-rce/article/download/362/1056.
- Kenyeres, J. (2014). Aspects of Canadian Multiculturalism: History, Policy, Theory and Impact.Сentral European Journal of Canadian studies. 9, 27-44. Retrieved from: https://digilib.phil.muni.cz/handle/11222.digilib/134378
- Knowles, V. (2007). Strangers at our Gate: Canadian Immigration and Immigration Policy, 1540-2007. Toronto: Dundurn Press.
- Lenard,Р., Wark, W., Nagra, B., Winter, E., (2016). Securitizing Minority/Muslim Canadians: Evaluating the Impact of Counter-Terrorism, National Security and Immigration Policies since 9/11. Retrieved from:https://www.academia.edu/24765979/Securitizing_Muslim_Canadians_Evaluating_the_Impact_of_Counter-terrorism_National_Security_and_Immigration_Policies_Since_9_11
- Medeiros, M. (2019) National frenemies: linguistic intergroup attitudes in Canada. Ethnic and racial studies. 42, iss. 16, 3-22. Retrieved from: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01419870.2017.1406610
- Open Letter to The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P. Prime Minister of Canada(2014). Retrieved from:https://bccla.org/wp–content/ uploads/2014/06/Open–Letter–C24-.pdf
- Рarlament of Canada. House of Commons. Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act (bill C-24), 19th June, 2014. House of Commons official website. Retrieved from: https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/41-2/bill/C-24/royal-assent
- Promoting integrationAnnual Report on the Operation of the Canadian Multiculturalism Act 2010-2011 (2012). Retrieved from: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2012/cic/Ci95-1-2011-eng.pdf
- Siapera, (2005). Multiculturalism Online: the Internet and the Dilemmas of Multicultural Politics.Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 31, 3, 5-24. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27245803_Multiculturalism_online_The_internet_and_the_dilemmas_of_multicultural_politics
- What is Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) (2017). Retrieved from: https://www.immigrant-education.ca/about-us/our-history/
- Winter, E. (2014). Becoming Canadian: Making Sense of Recent Changes to Citizenship Rules. IRPP Study, 44. Retrieved from: https://www.academia.edu/34056789/Becoming_Canadian_Making_Sense_of_Recent_Changes_to_Citizenship_Rules
- Winter, E. (2015). Report on Citizenship Law: EUDO Citizenship Observatory. Retrieved from: https://www.academia.edu/34056720/Report_on_Citizenship_Law_Canada.
- Yayoi, K. (2015). Canadian Multiculturalism: ThesignificanceofbeingofficialNotandum, 39, 57-68. Retrieved from: http://www.hottopos.com/notand39/57-68Yayoi.pdf