Pavlo Kryazhev, Ph.D. in Pedagogical Sciences
In the article we examine the mission of portuguese captain–major Cristovao Jaques in the context of initiation of systematic colonization of Brazil by the portugueses in 1530. We emphasized on the documents which reveal the course of military and inspection squadrons under command of Jaques. These documents reveal the circumstances of founding of portuguese outpost in the South America – factoria «Sitio–do–Маrco». In the article we elucidated that the organization of mentioned military and inspection expeditions towards the coasts of Brazil was the compelled reaction of portuguese crown on the threatening attempts of the french corsairs to be fixed on its coast. In other words, the neutralization of menace of loss by the crown of Portugal of the new discovered land in the Southern Atlantic was the purpose of Cristovao Jaque’s squadron. In this context in the article it is noted that the french squadrons of corsairs from Brittany and Normandy have begun the expedition voyages in the direction of Brazil, since 1503. These expeditions have reached the greatest activity in the twenties of XVI century. The first similar expedition under command of admiral Gonnevil has begun its sea voyage 24th june 1503 when ship «Espoir de Honfleur» has gone in journey from the harbor Honfleur. In the article we accented the attention on that circumstance that the mission of captain-major Cristovao Jaques has been directed to the preparation of reliable base for initiation by the king Joao III the first colonization expedition towards Brazil.
Key words: Brazil, colonization, military and inspection squadron, captain– major, factoria, pau–brasil.
- 1. CORTEZАO, J. et al. (1923) Historia da colonização portuguesa do Brazyl. Porto: Litografia [Online] Available from: http://objdigital.bn.br/objdigital2/acervo_digital/div_manuscritos/mss90272/mss90272.pdf. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- AZEVEDO, P. et al. (1924) Historia da colonização portuguesa do Brazyl. Porto: Litografia Nacional. [Online] Available from: http://objdigital.bn.br/objdigital2/acervo_digital/div_manuscritos/mss90273/mss90273.pdf. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- BERING, M. (ed.) (1929) Documentos historicos. Biblioteca Nacional do Brasil. Rio de Janeiro: Augusto Porto & Co. [Online] Available from: http://bndigital.bn.br/acervo-digital/documentos-historicos/094536. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- MELLO, J.A.G. (1970) A feitoria de Pernambuco (1516–1535) e o reduto dos Marcos (1646–1654). Revista trimensal do instituto hisrotico e geographico do Brasil. [Online] 287, p. 468-478. Available from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_G9pg7CxKSsMnFTcEdKbWh1blU/view. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- COELHO, J.R. (ed.) (1892) Alguns documentos do Archivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo acerca das navegacoes e conquistas portuguezas. Lisboa: Imprensa Nacional. [Online] Available from: http://purl.pt/26221/4/hg-8607-a_PDF/hg-8607-a_PDF_24-C-R0150/hg-8607-a_0000_1-614_t24-C-R0150.pdf/ [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- REVISTA TRIMENSAL DO INSTITUTO HISTORICO E GEOGRAPHICO DO BRASIL. (1888) Carta de Luiz Ramirez do Rio da Prata, a de 10 julho de 1528. [Online] 15. p. 14-41. Available from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_G9pg7CxKSsWjFCVzJ4a1R6bjQ/view. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- MEDINA, J.T. (1897) Juan Diaz de Solis. Santiago de Chile: Impreso en casa del Autor. [Online] Available from: https://ia800502.us.archive.org/10/items/juandazdesol00medi/juandazdesol00medi.pdf. [Accessed: 19th Desember 2017].
- 8. REVISTA TRIMENSAL DO INSTITUTO HISTORICO E GEOGRAPHICO DO BRASIL. (1886) Primeiro navio francez no Brazil. [Online] 49. 2. p. 315-331. Available from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_G9pg7CxKSsLU9uYWFNWHF1SEU/view. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].
- EVORA: JACOBO CRONBERGUER ALEMAN. (1521) Ordenações do Rey D. Manuel. [Online] Available from: https://bdigital.tcontas.pt/cotas/la_002/LA_002_06.pdf. [Accessed: 20th Desember 2017].