Ph. D. (History), Leading Research Fellow, The State institution «Institute of World History of NAS of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract. The article deals with the foreign course of President Joe Biden’s administration in regard to making an anti-iranian coalition in the Middle East. Due to a plethora of intra and extra factors, this particular deal has become crucial. The significance is defined by analyzing one of the most important aspects of American foreign policy in the Middle East for the last short period of time. Its realization will help not only oppose Iranian expansionism in the region but also stand against a possible alliance of two dictators regimes – Putin’s and Ayatollahs’ – in the Russian-Ukrainian war, and in the future could lead to serious danger for all regional security system in the Middle East.
The aim of the article is to systematic investigation of the US’ foreign strategy to create an anti-Iranian alliance in the Middle East, mentioning new features, that occur from late 2022 and the beginning of 2023. The article shows the importance of the anti-Iranian alliance as one of the pivotal fronts of war between the global democratic team led by the US and the global dictators’ bunch, which can possibly doom the future of humanity.
Methods include a broad mix of general scientific and narrow methods like systemic method, comparative analysis, sources’ critic analysis.
The scientific novelty of the research lies in the fact that the author is first in Ukrainian historiography, who tried to investigate the ongoing process of reforming the political and security situation in the Middle East and made a complex analysis of one of the top priority foreign policy themes, conducted by President Joe Biden’s administration in the Middle East, with inventing into research agenda new American, Israel and Arab sources. New reasons and facets in the Middle Eastern geopolitical situation are highlighted, which indicate the cruciality of the research problem. The author draws a conclusion about the correlation of processes in the Middle East and Ukraine, in particular, that the policy of J. Biden’s administration in the specified direction allows more effective resistance to Russian aggression in Ukraine.
Key words: President Joe Biden’s administration, Iran, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Middle East, anti-Iranian alliance.
- Bordilovska, O. (2022, September 19). Iran and Russia: strategic partnership. National Institute for Strategic Studies. https://griml.com/wE427. [In Ukrainian].
- Kravchenko, (2022, November 9). «Maksym Subkh: We cannot sacrifice our national security just to have a permanent trade relationship with Iran». Dzerkalo tyzhnia. https://griml.com/rEVbu. [In Ukrainian].
- Kravchenko, (2022, February 16). Weapons for Ukraine: Netanyahu raises the stakes in the game with Biden and Putin. Dzerkalo tyzhnia. https://griml.com/NXLs8. [In Ukrainian].
- Semyvolos, (2022, December 8). Revolution in Iran: friendship with Russia will not lead to good. Dzerkalo tyzhnia. https://griml.com/Tqt3Y. [In Ukrainian].
- President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Official website. (2023, February 17). We have to liberate Ukraine and Europe, because when the Russian weapon shoots at us, it is already pointed at our neighbors – address by the President at the Munich Security Conference. https://griml.com/Yf6wZ. [In Ukrainian].
- Alterman, J. D. (2023, March 10). Why Did China Help Saudi Arabia and Iran Resume Diplomatic Ties? Center for Strategic and International Studies. https://griml.com/Zx02r.[In English].
- Middle East Institute. (2023, January 30). A turbulent year for MENA in 2023: Economic stresses, political instability, and the need for decisive leadership. https://griml.com/wgAze. [In English].
- Baker, (2023, March. 11). Chinese-Brokered Deal Upends Mideast Diplomacy and Challenges U.S. New York Times. https://griml.com/8ra8N. [In English].
- Dugit-Gros, L., Borshchevskaya, A., Eisenstadt, M., Nadimi, F. & Rome, H. (2023, January 20). After Ukraine: Russia’s Potential Military and Nuclear Compensation to Iran. The Washington Institute for Near East policy. https://griml.com/8yxZq. [In English].
- Exclusive – The Netanyahu Doctrine: An in-depth regional policy interview. (2022, December 15). Al Arabiya. https://griml.com/jQ1tn. [In English].
- Feldstein, S. (2022, October 26). The Larger Geopolitical Shift Behind Iran’s Drone Sales to Russia. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. https://griml.com/GbxFb. [In English].
- Hannah, J. (2023, January 4). Israel can normalize ties with Saudi Arabia – with Biden’s help – opinion. The Jerusalem Post. https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-726558.[In English].
- Lazaroff, T. (2023, January29). Blinken says all options on table against Iran as he heads to Israel. The Jerusalem Post. https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-730010. [In English].
- Makovsky, D. (2023, January10). Netanyahu’s Potential Friction Points with Biden (Part 2): Iran, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, and Domestic Issues. The Washington Institute for Near East policy. https://griml.com/HX0FM. [In English].
- Miller, A.D. (2023, February1). 5 Ways Biden Can Thread the Needle With Israel’s New Coalition. Foreign Policy. https://griml.com/by7Ww. [In English].
- The White House. Washington. (2022, October 12). National security strategy. https://griml.com/7ByDF. [In English].
- Pollak, N. (2022, December28). Deepening Russia-Iran Relationship Should Worry Israel. The Washington Institute for Near East policy. https://griml.com/AObIR. [In English].
- Ross, D. (2022, July 6). The United States Needs a Better Strategy to Deter Iran. The Washington Institute for Near East policy. https://griml.com/r8wYv. [In English].
- VOA News. (2023, February 17). Security Drives US, Saudi Efforts to Overcome Tensions. https://griml.com/ZB5A0. [In English].
- Tuqa, Kh. (2023, February 19). Netanyahu: Peace with Saudi Arabia and stopping Iran are intertwined goals for Israel. Al Arabiya. https://griml.com/Cxjo1. [In English].
- Widakuswara, P. (2023, January 19). Expansion of Abraham Accords Raised in Biden Adviser Meeting with Netanyahu. VOA News. https://griml.com/XrcpR. [In English].Widakuswara, P. (2023, January 19). Expansion of Abraham Accords Raised in Biden Adviser Meeting with Netanyahu. VOA News. https://griml.com/XrcpR. [In English].