Ihor Rymar, post-graduate student Mykhailo Drahomanov National Pedagogical University, Kyiv.
The article describes the policy of the Communist Party of the USA on the basis of documents and monographic literature. The work analyzes the relationship with the Third International within the framework of the recessive tactical – strategic model during August 1939 – June 1941.
The attention is paid to the reaction of the direct participants in the events, first of all, the members of the Communist Party of the USA, to the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact on August 23, 1939. The analysis of the attitude of the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the USA E. Browder to both the pact itself and to the foreign policy line pursued by the USSR and the Third International in August 1939 – June 1941.
Being on the periphery of the interests of the Secretariat of the Third International, the Communist Party of the United States supported and defended the thesis of the “imperialist” nature of the war, the involvement of governments, especially Great Britain and France, as well as the administration of F. Roosevelt, its continuation and prolongation, development into a world war. Special attention is paid to the position of the US Communist Party to the Soviet-Finnish war of 1939-1940.
The article analyses the Voorhis Act, its influence on the position of the Communist Party of the United States, and the problem of the existence of the Third International as an organization of the international communist movement on the eve of the German-Soviet war of 1941-1945.
Key words: World War II, Comintern, Communist Party of the USA, recession, tactical – strategic model, Voorhis Act.
- BAYERLEIN, B. (2011) «Predatel’ – ty, Stalin!» Komintern i kommunisticheskie partii v nachale Vtoroii myrovoii voiiny (1939 – 1941): utrachenaia solidarnost’ levykh sil. Moscow: Rossiiiskaia politicheskaia enciklopediia (ROSSPEN): Fond «Prezidentskiii centr im. B.N. El’cyna»
- CHUBAR‘IAN, A. (ed.) (2002) Istoriia Kommunisticheskoho Internacionala 1919-1943: Dokumental’nye ocherki. Moscow: Nauka.
- LEBEDEVA, N., NARINSKII, M. (ed.) (1994) Komintern i Vtoraia mirovaia voiina. Ch.1: do 22 iyunia 1941 h. Moscow: Pamiatniki istoricheskoii mysli.
- ADIBEKOV, H., ANDERSON, K., SHIRINIA, K. (ed.) (2004) Politbyuro CK RKP(b) – VKP(b) i Komintern:1919-1943 hh. Dokumenty. Moscow: «Rossiiskaia politicheskaia enciklopediia» (ROSSPEN).
- SMIRNOV, V. (1994) Francuzskaia kommunisticheskaia partiia i Komintern v 1939 –1940 hh. Novye arkhivnye materialy. Novaia i noveiishaia istoriia. P. 30-46.
- FIRSOV, F. (1992) Arkhivy Kominterna i vneshniaia politika SSSR v 1939-1941 hh. Novaia i noveiishaia istoriia. P. 12-35.
- FIRSOV, F. (2011) Sekrety Kommunisticheskoho Internacionala. Shyfroperepiska. Moscow: Rossiiaskaia politicheskaia encyklopediia (ROSSPEN); Fond «Prezidentskii centr im. N. El’cyna».
- DECLARATION OF THE NATION COMMITTEE, Communist Party of the U.S.A. Daily Worker. 19th September. P. 1.
- BROWDER, E. (1939) Twenty-Two Years Of Socialism. Daily Worker. 6ht P. 2.
- DALLIN, A., FIRSOV, F. (ed.) (2000) Dimitrov and Stalin: 1934-1943. Letters from the Soviet Archives. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
- DIMITROV, G. (2003) The Diary. 1933-1949. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
- KIRKCONNELL, W. Communism in Canada and the U.S.A. Canadian Catholic Historical Association Report 15. p. 41– [Online] Available from: http://www.cchahistory.ca/journal/CCHA1947-48/Kirkconnel.pdf [Accessed: 14th November 2017]
- KLEHR, H. (2017) American Reds, Soviet Stooges [Online] Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/opinion/communist-party-usa-soviet-union.html [Accessed: 12th November 2017]
- LEWEY, G. (1990) The Cause That Failed: Communism in American Political Life. New York: Oxford University Press.
- MOORHOUSE, R. (2014) The Devil’s Alliance. [Online] Available from: https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=8yhWDgAAQBAJ&pg=RA1-PT62&lpg=RA1-PT62&dq=cpusa+in+1939-1941&source=bl&ots=3hiBf3Bas9&sig=u18sFDPCB7J4kBZfS4Z8XJJ2UV8&hl=ru&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGzqOD7b3XAhWlQpoKHb5FAcAQ6AEIJDAG#v=onepage&q=cpusa%20in%201939-1941&f=false [Accessed: 15th November 2017]
- SIMKIN, J. Communist party in the United State [Online] Available from: http://spartacus-educational.com/USAcommunist.htm [Accessed: 12th November 2017]
- The Meaning of the Non-Aggression Pact. Soviet Russia Today. Vol. 8, No. 5. p. 5-6. [Online] Available from: http://www.marxisthistory.org/history/usa/parties/cpusa/1939/0900-srt-meaningofpact.pdf [Accessed: 12th November 2017]
- 18 USC 2386: Registration of certain organizations. In UNITED STATES CODE, Title 18 Part I Chapter 115 [Online] Available from: http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title18-section2386&num=0&edition=prelim [Accessed: 20th November 2017]