Natalia Yakovenko, рrofessor, Institute of International Relations, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
Galyna Piskorska, Senior Researcher, Institute of International Relations,Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
The article deals with key principles and practical assignments in the field ofNATO public diplomacy, evolution of NATO public diplomacy during a period from the end of cold war to contemporary time, determinationof factors, exerting influence on aims, tasks and priorities of strategic communicative efforts of the Alliance in the modern world, analysis of adaptation of basic principles of public diplomacy to the realities of globalization.The writers stress that the policy of public diplomacy conducted by the North Atlantic Alliance is a very effective political instrument.In the post-bipolar period, there was a profound transformation of the architecture of NATO public diplomacy bodies.Particular attention was paid to deepening the work of public diplomacy in the post-Soviet space.It is mentioned in the article that on the territory of former Soviet republics a wide network of NATO public diplomacy structures has been deployed – NATO information offices, communications missions. The most widely structures of NATO public diplomacyare represented in Ukraine. One of the most vivid examples ofeffectiveness of these structures is the activities of NATO Information and Documentation Centerwhich has been successfully working to improve understanding and awareness about NATO’s among Ukrainian citizens for over twenty years. Analysis of the evolution of NATO’s public diplomacy in the post-bipolar period demonstrates the high potential of adapting its functions, goals and objectives to the current strategic guidance of the North Atlantic Alliance.
Key words: NATO’s Public Diplomacy; threats and challenges; NATO Information and Documentation Center.
- CORNISH, P., LINDLEY-FRENCH, J. and YORKE, C. Strategic Communications and National StrategyinA Chatham House Report, September 2011.[Online]. Availablefrom: https://www.chathamhouse.org/publications/papers/view/178465 [Accessed: 15th December 2017].
- 2.POCHEPTSOV, G. G. (2008) Strategicheskiye kommunikatsii: strategicheskiye kommunikatsii v politike, biznese i gosudarstvennom upravlenii.Кyiv: Alterpres.
- 3.Barovska, A.V.(2015) Stratehichni komunikatsiyi: dosvid NATO. Stratehichni priorytety.1 (34). p. 147-151.
- Active Engagement, Modern Defence. Strategic Concept for the Defence and Security of the Members of the North Atlantic Treaty organization. Adopted by Heads of State and Government at the NATO Summit in Lisbon 19-20 November 2010. [Online]. Available from: http://www.nato.int/ nato_static/assets/pdf/pdf_publications/20120214_strategic-concept-2010-ukr.pdf. [Accessed: 15thDecember 2017].
- O rasshyrenyy NATO [Online]. Available from: http://nato.w-europe.org/show.php?art=104&rubr=33 [Accessed: 15thDecember 2017].
- NATO Strategic Concept, Rome, November 7-8, 1991[Online]. Available from: http://www.nato.int/ [Accessed: February 15 2017].
- Strategicheskiye kontseptsii NATO [Online]. Available from: http://www.nato.int/cps/ru/natolive/topics_56626.htm [Accessed: 02nd February 2017].
- Partnership for Peace: Framework Document, Brussels, 10 January 1994. [Online]. Available from: URL: http://arhiv.inpravo.ru/data/base281/text281v304i987.htm [Accessed: 19th February 2017].
- NATO-Ukraina. Novyyeneafishiruyemyyerealii[Online]. Availablefrom:URL.:http://gubkin.info/politics/84379-nato-ukraina-novye-neafishiruemye-realii.html[Accessed: 15th February 2017].
- NATO Handbook. NATO Public Diplomacy Division (2006).Brussels. 440 p.
- 11.Prazhskiy sammiti preobrazovaniye NATO. Spravochnik-putevoditel’. Upravleniye obshchestvennoy diplomatii NATO (2003). Brussels.118 p.
- Stambul’skiy sammit. Spravochnik-putevoditel’. Upravleniye obshchestvennoy diplomatii NATO (2004). Brussels. 156 p.
- 2010-2011 NATO Public diplomacy strategy. [Online]. Available from: http://publicintelligence.net/nato-public-diplomacy-2011/ [Accessed: 25thFebruary 2017].
- Closing the gap: Keeping NATO strong in an era of austerity. Speech by Ambassador Alexander Vershbow, NATO Deputy Secretary General at the 48th Annual Security Conference of the Norwegian Atlantic Committee, Oslo, Norway, 11 Feb. 2013. [Online]. Available from:URL: http://www.nato.int/cps/en/ SID-21281BCB-2C102202/natolive/opinions_98350.htm?selectedLocale=en [Accessed: 9thJanuary 2017].
- 2010-2011 NATO Public Diplomacy Strategy. [Online]. Available from:http://publicintelligence.net/nato-public-diplomacy-2011/ [Accessed: 25thFebruary 2017].
- ROSS, С. Pillars of Public Diplomacy[Online].Available from:
- https://www.google.ru/#newwindow=1&q=christopher+ross+pillars+of+public+diplomacy[Accessed: 25thFebruary 2017].
- Rogozin, A. D. (2008) Obshchestvennaya diplomatiya NATO i ugrozy informatsionnoy bezopasnosti Rossii.Vlast’. September. p. 26-32.
- NATO Handbook. Partnership and Cooperation. NATO Information and Press Bureau (1995).368 p.
- NATO Handbook, publication for the 50th anniversary of NATO. Information and Press Bureau (1998-1999). 406 p.
- Sotsiologicheskoye issledovaniye “Rossiyane o NATO”. InformatsionnoyebyuroNATO(oktyabr’ 2013)[Online]. Availablefrom:URL.: http://nato.w-europe.org/archive.php. [Accessed: 15th February 2014].
- MARONKOVA, B. (2017) Aktsent na ‘myagkoy sile’: Pochemu publichnaya diplomatiya NATO imeyet vazhnoye znacheniye dlya Ukrainy [Online]. Available from: https://day.kyiv.ua/ru/article/den-planety/akcent-na-myagkoy-sile[Accessed: 9th March 2017].
- 22. TSVETKOVA, N.A. (2012) Publichnaya diplomatiya SSHA i revolyutsii v arabskom mire [Online]. Available from: http://mir-politika.ru/237-publichnaya-diplomatiya-ssha-irevolyucii-v-arabskom-mire.html. [Accesed: 2 nd September 2012].
- 23. NATO otkrylo v Rige shtab dlya informatsionnoy voyny v Vostochnoy Yevrope [Online]. Available from: http://bb.vesti.lv/politika/item/9162088-nato-otkrylo-v-rigeshtab-dlya-informatsionnoj-vojny-v-vostochnoj-evrope [Accessed: 29th March 2015].