Tetiana Orlova, Dr. habil. (history), Professor National Taras Shevchenko University of Kyiv
In the current Ukrainian historical science, the perception of requiring new conceptual approaches for explaining past and current processes and events is growing fast. An important part belongs to interdisciplinarity that considerably increases the opportunities of research in shaping and explaining topical issues, including the factors of influence by the USA and on the USA. The article researches the influences of American national character on the run of 2016 American presidential campaign, combining analyses at the micro- and macro-levels, i.e. electoral and individual. Donald Trump has demonstrated his proximity to the majority of voters, appealing to the American nature. At the same time, the national temper has been manifested in his activities. As history witnesses, under conditions of deep crisis some features of a national temper may come to the forefront, determining people’s political behavior. Today’s USA wouldn’t evade the crisis phenomena both in terms of economy and identity. Donald Trump and his team have sensed it well and used it in their pre-electoral work, whereas their adversaries have underestimated the weight of the psychological component in the real historical process. The comments of American analytics on the subject demonstrate the discrepancy between the views of the “elite” and the “masses”. The victory in the elections to the highest position in a leading nation of the world serves as another example of the importance of the broad public as the makers of history, as well as of the factors that ensure success to extraordinary personalities, to which Donald Trump most certainly belongs.
the USA, presidential elections, national character, Donald Trump
1. HOHAN, E. (2016) Chomu same Tramp potrapyv do Biloho Domu. Pyat prychyn [Online]. Available from: http://nv.ua/ukr/opinion/gaughan/chomu-same-tramp-potrapiv-v-bilij-dim-p-jat-prichin264949.html [Accessed: 17th October 2017]
2. ZURKER, E. (2016) Pyat prychyn, chomu Tramp peremih [Online]. Available from: http://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/politics/2016/11/161109_trump_victory_five_reasons_or_it [Accessed: 17th October 2017]
3. KNIHHE, M. (2017) Istorychna peremoha Trampa, bezporadnyj Zaxid ta bahato vidkrytyx pytan [Online]. Available from: http://www.dw.com/uk [Accessed: 15th October 2017]
4. Realnye prychyny pobedy Trampa (2016) [Online]. Available from: http://nk.org.ua/geopolitika/realnyie-prichinyi-pobedyi-trampa-83652 [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
5. Chomu peremih Tramp: naukove poyasnennya (2016) [Online]. Available from: https://day.kyiv.ua/uk/article/ekonomika/chomu-peremig-tramp-naukove-poyasnennya [Accessed: 10th October 2017]
6. LANECKYJ, O. Yak i chomu peremih Tramp (2016) [Online]. Available from: http://forbes.net.ua/ua/opinions/1423725-yak-i-chomu-peremig-tramp [Accessed: 6th October 2017]
7. KARPENKO, A. (2016) Chomu Tramp peremih? [Online]. Available from: http://kievvlast.com.ua/mind/chmu_tramp_peremig45520 [Accessed: 6th October 2017]
8. MACIYEVSKYJ, Yu. Chomu peremih Tramp? (2016) [Online]. Available from: https://zaxid.net/chomu_peremig_tramp_nl410937 [Accessed: 9th October 2017]
9. MYXAJLENKO, M. (2016) Pyat hlavnyx prychyn pobedy Donalda Trampa [Online]. Available from: http://newssky.com.ua/5-glavnyih-prichin-pobedyi-donalda-trampa/ [Accessed: 17th October 2017]
10. SERDYUK, N. Chomu Tramp peremih na vyborax (2016) [Online]. Available from: http://obla.co.ua/news/politics/why-trump-won-the-elections [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
11. Peremoha Trampa. Proshhannya zi stereotypamy (2016) [Online]. Available from: https://ukr.lb.ua/world/2016/11/10/350359_peremoga_trampa_proshchannya_ zi.html [Accessed: 19th October 2017]
12. BURTKA, J.A. (2017) Face It: Trump Is the Man in America’s Mirror. The American Conservative. [Online] 12th August. Available from: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/face-it-trump-is-the-man-in-americas-mirror [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
13. GONZALES, R. (2016) Trump embodies the dark side of American Exceptionalism [Online]. Available from: http://www.bakersfield.com/opinion/trump-embodies-the-dark-side-of-americanexceptionalism/article_d72e1f87-09dd-5ad4-a415-e0456937d9be.html [Accessed: 10th October 2017]
14. KING, C.I. (2017) Americans put Trump in the Oval Office. What does that say about the country? The Washington Post. [Online] 14th July. Available from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americans-put-trump-in-the-oval-office-what-does-that-sayabout-americans/2017/07/14/e6dd8996-67e8-11e7-a1d7-9a32c91c6f40_story.html [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
15. MCADAMS, D.P. (2016) The Mind of Donald Trump. The Atlantic’s Politics&Policy Daily. [Online] June. Available from: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-ofdonald-trump/480771/ [Accessed: 11th October 2017]
16. MARDELL, М. (2017) Tump and Obama: Two characters in search of a legacy [Online] Available from: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663825 [Accessed: 25th October 2017]
17. MEEROPOL, M. (2017) Decline Of American Character Not To Blame. WAMC Northeast Report. [Online] 3d March. Available from: http://wamc.org/post/michael-meeropol-decline-americancharacter-not-blame. [Accessed: 27th October 2017]
18. SHAFFER, J. (2017) Pulitzer-winning historian on Trump: “Character is destiny…No one should be surprised”. [Online] Available from:http://newsobserver.com/news/politicsgoverment/article151016877.html [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
19. FLATTUM, J. (2016) Trump Defiles American National Character [Online] Available from: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trump-defiles-americas-national-character-jerry-flattum [Accessed: 14th October 2017] 20. FLEMING, M. (2016) Donald Trump: An over-the-top American character [Online]. Available from: http://delawareonline.com/story/opinion/contributors/2015/08/24/donald-trump-top-americancharacter/32280723 [Accessed: 14th October 2017]
21. KHARE, H. (2017) What Trump’s Victory Says About The American Character [Online] Available from: http://www.huffingtonpost.in/harish-khare-/what-trump-s-victory-says-about-theamerican-character_a_21605212. [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
22. HENDERSON, S. (2017) American character can survive Trump. Detroit Free Press. [Online] 1st July 2017. Available from: http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/stephenhenderson/2017/07/02/trump-american-values/442086001 [Accessed: 12th October 2017]
23. HUER, J. (2017) Donald Tramp: Made in the USA. Lanham – Boulder – New-York – Toronto – Plymouth UK: Hamilton Books. 24. HOTOVKINA, L.D. (2008) Nacionalnyj xarakter: problema definiciyi ponyattya. Naukovi zapysky. Seriya Psyxolohiya i pedahohika. – Ostroh: Vydavnyctvo Nacionalnoho universytetu Ostrozka akademiya. 11, P. 45-55.
25. BURDE, N. (2001) Praktycheskyj smysl. S-Peterburg, Moskva: Ynstytut eksperymentalnoj socyolohyy.
26. COLLINS, R. (1999) Macrohistory: Essays in Sociology of the Long Run. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
27. KON, Y. K probleme nacyonalnoho xaraktera (1971) [Online] Available from: https://scepsis.net/library/id_903.html [Accessed: 2d October 2017]
28. STEFANENKO, T. (2004) Etnopsyxolohyya. Moskva: Aspekt Press. [Online] Available from: https://psy.wilcireading.ru/12716 [Accessed: 2d October 2017]
29. Polytycheskaya psyxolohyya. Uchebnoe posobye dlya vysshej shkoly (2001). Moskva: Delovaya knyha. [Online] Available from: http://studme.org/55923/psihologiya/ponyatie_natsionalnogo_haraktera [Accessed: 3d October 2017]
30. DZHARRET, K. (2017) Demokratyya v strane zavysyt ot nacyonalnoho xaraktera? [Online] Available from: http://www.bbc.com/russian/vert-fut-40962685 [Accessed: 6th October 2017]
31. LERNER, M. (1992) Razvytye cyvylyzacyy v Ameryke. Obraz zhyzny y myslej v Soedynennyx Shtatax sehodnya. Moskva: Raduha.
32. BILOKOLOS, O. (2016) Vybory prezydenta SShA: yak stalosya nejmovirne, i choho ochikuvaty Ukrayini? [Online] Available from: https://dt.ua/internal/vibori-prezidenta-ssha-yak-stalosyaneymovime-i-chogo-ochikuvati-ukrayini-_.html [Accessed: 19th October 2017]
33. TOKVIL, A. de. (1999) Pro demokratiyu v Ameryci. Kyiv.: Vsesvit.
34. Rech Donalda Trampa v Hettysberhe, shtat Pensylvanyya (22 oktyabrya 2016 hoda) (2016) [Online] Available from: http://inosmi.ru/politic/20161023/23 8066206.html [Accessed: 1st October 2017]
35. ANDERSEN, K. (2017) Americans have a longstanding love of magical thinking. It gave us Trump. Vox. [Online] Available from: https://www.vox.com/2017/9/29/16349982/americans-lovemagical-thinking-it-gave-us-trump [Accessed: 24th October 2017]